Lighting issues might be harming

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
I have a 75 gallon enclosure. 48 L X 34 W X 17 H.

When I rescued Rico I for the enclosure and everything they had.

They only used a ReptiSun 160w heat and uv light.

Her basking spot is about 10” and she wouldn’t open her eyes. From reading here, I think the uv is too much?? So I raised the fixture and she opened her finally.
She takes the heat okay, but stopped eating greens and sleeps a lot. Eats bug though. And I dripped water on her snout today finally and she took it.

I really need help with lighting. I need to know what size heat bulb to get for basking and what to do for uv and placement.

I know there are posts here about this, they all confuse me, I have a few personal issues with that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Teresa

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hot side or cool?

I do need to figure what standard bulb to use.

Also is this a good timer?

Sorry so many questions!
Uvb needs to go as closest to basking bulb as possible - standard bulb???? Are you talking about basking bulb? Your digital probe thermometers are going to tell you wattage- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Hot side or cool?

I do need to figure what standard bulb to use.

Also is this a good timer?

Sorry so many questions!
If you're willing to spend more, do not get this timer. I'm on my second one. The first one died, I can't remember what happened. I already had two because at one time I had two beardies, but I rehomed one when I realized it was too much.

Anyway, it doesn't keep time properly. You have to set it every few weeks. And the little buttons to set when the lights go on and off are really easy to mess up if they get bumped. It also makes noise, which I have read that most beardies don't like. Thor doesn't like it. It's not a priority right now, bit I plan on replacing it this year.

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
If you're willing to spend more, do not get this timer. I'm on my second one. The first one died, I can't remember what happened. I already had two because at one time I had two beardies, but I rehomed one when I realized it was too much.

Anyway, it doesn't keep time properly. You have to set it every few weeks. And the little buttons to set when the lights go on and off are really easy to mess up if they get bumped. It also makes noise, which I have read that most beardies don't like. Thor doesn't like it. It's not a priority right now, bit I plan on replacing it this year.
Thank you! I’ll have to research timers.
What size floodlight do you use? Can you just buy a regular floodlight from hardware store?
Also what brand dome do you all use? Flukers keeps burning bulb out. 160w. Probably going to 150w w/o uvb since I’m getting a uvb separate. She’s only about 10” from bulb. Temps around 105 at moment.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Thank you! I’ll have to research timers.
What size floodlight do you use? Can you just buy a regular floodlight from hardware store?
Also what brand dome do you all use? Flukers keeps burning bulb out. 160w. Probably going to 150w w/o uvb since I’m getting a uvb separate. She’s only about 10” from bulb. Temps around 105 at moment.
They dint make halogen bulbs anymore, unfortunately. Well, they do, but they're usually red now, used in chicken coops and stuff. But we can't use any red light, so halogens are off-limits now. I switched back to reptile bulbs. Mine are all mounted in the tank, so I have a 100w basking bulb, and a low wattage deep heat emitter sitting over his water dish (helps keep humidity at a good level).

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico

Hi. I took her to vet today. Bloodwork showed very healthy except white blood count. Antibiotics. And need to get multivitamin.
She said to go down to 100w , but I think I need a 125 heat bulb.
Bought Arcadia ubv. It’s only 24”. And I don’t know if it’s 10.0.. I can get another of these if it’s right????? Getting frustrated
I think I can get ReptiSun or Zoo Med at 48”. Comes with 5.0 bulb. But can’t find the 48”.
Please please help. These things aren’t cheap and I’m on disability. Thanks!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi. I took her to vet today. Bloodwork showed very healthy except white blood count. Antibiotics. And need to get multivitamin.
She said to go down to 100w , but I think I need a 125 heat bulb.
Bought Arcadia ubv. It’s only 24”. And I don’t know if it’s 10.0.. I can get another of these if it’s right????? Getting frustrated
I think I can get ReptiSun or Zoo Med at 48”. Comes with 5.0 bulb. But can’t find the 48”.
Please please help. These things aren’t cheap and I’m on disability. Thanks!!!
Your Arcadia is a 24 watt 12% bulb that is what you need for a 40+ gallon tank -you dont want a UVB the same length of your tank - your digital probe thermometer is going to tell you what wattage you need for surface basking temps of 95-100 --multi vitamin should be w/ beta carotene --

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Ok, so I took pics of placement of uvb lamp. Is this ok?
I have a 150 watt bulb. In the bigger dome. The smaller dome is only rated to 100w. The uvb sits on top of the frame since the frame is divided. It’s a 24”.
She sometimes lays like she is now. Most of the time she’s laying on top facing left.
Wanting to get a heat emitter for left side.

And not sure what to get for humidity???
Thanks for the help 🙂

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Thanks for the help 🙂
Do you mean how to adjust humidity, or how to measure it?
I measure it with a digital hygrometer (I put it in the enclosure once in a while, measure, and then remove it, as my dragon tends to destroy all things similar to a thermometer). Humidity can be increased by spraying surfaces, and also keeping an edible live plant (such as aloe vera or golliwog ("turtle weed") in the enclosure can help. For decreasing humidity, do the opposite, e.g. don't keep plants, remove any kind of water dish, don't mist.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, so I took pics of placement of uvb lamp. Is this ok?
I have a 150 watt bulb. In the bigger dome. The smaller dome is only rated to 100w. The uvb sits on top of the frame since the frame is divided. It’s a 24”.
She sometimes lays like she is now. Most of the time she’s laying on top facing left.
Wanting to get a heat emitter for left side.

Thanks for the help 🙂
What are your surface basking temps and how are you getting them? Pic did not post

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Sorry, this took so long. I got temps right. 150w seems to work good. 100w doesn’t get to temp.
I put the uvb in the back and she gets down and lay under it because I left a space. Near the end of her day.

She still won’t eat greens lol.

Sprinkling a bit of vitamins from vet on a couple giant mealworms a day.

Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4245.jpeg
    IMG_4245.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 19

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry, this took so long. I got temps right. 150w seems to work good. 100w doesn’t get to temp.
I put the uvb in the back and she gets down and lay under it because I left a space. Near the end of her day.

She still won’t eat greens lol.

Sprinkling a bit of vitamins from vet on a couple giant mealworms a day.

Thanks!!!!
Is there a screen that the UVB is sitting on- if so the rays are being blocked and shes not getting much UVB if the screen is a fine mesh one - I cant tell is she can sit directly under it - you want her to be able to sit directly under it approx 12-15 inches w/ NO screen --

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
I’ve read to take off the reflector if I do this. And maybe I’ll go back to 100w. She’s about 12” from bulb. It should be good. I’ve taken her outside the last couple days. Something she’s never had. Yesterday was around 65 and sunny today 71 and sunny. It was pretty warm. I think she liked the daylight and real uv.
My main concern is where do I position the uv bulb inside? Right next to lamp? Front, back, side?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’ve read to take off the reflector if I do this. And maybe I’ll go back to 100w. She’s about 12” from bulb. It should be good. I’ve taken her outside the last couple days. Something she’s never had. Yesterday was around 65 and sunny today 71 and sunny. It was pretty warm. I think she liked the daylight and real uv.
My main concern is where do I position the uv bulb inside? Right next to lamp? Front, back, side?
Do not take the reflector off- it strengthens the uvb which is good and what you want--- get it as close to the basking bulb as you can - you don't want the fixture on the wall- it needs to be placed off the wall if putting in the back

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom