While Thor is brumating....

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
I decided to upgrade his house.

I am getting ideas on how to set up his new house. He is currently in a 46x18x18, and this is a solid 48x24x24, and I can actually combine two habitats to make an 8 foot run for him.

The basking bulb is in an Arcadia 250w housing, and the bulb is a 250w halogen from Tractor Supply Company. His uvb is a 24" Arcadia 24w T5(?) - whichever one is the most recommended. That's getting installed on the back wall at a diagonal.

The thermometers are dual probe, so I can get 4 different temp readings, and humidity as well. Planning on just leaving them in, if I can.

I have a half-log hide that I'm gonna put on his cool side. He has a 36" long bamboo hammock that I'm debating on putting in or leaving out. That's one of my questions.

For the floor, I think I want to use slate, but the bamboo finish of this habitat isn't really slippery, and he does let me trim his nails (I already do my cats' nails, so..) so I'm not sure I want to commit to a substrate yet.

Questions I have: what is a better basking furniture? A hammock, or branches? And what other recommendations do you have?

The temp in my apartment stays at 68, because in the house below Thor's lives a Syrian hamster named Puff Hammy.

When Thor wakes up, im going to move his hide over without washing it, so he at least has something familiar. I'll wash it once he's comfortable in his new house.

Already, I'm impressed with this habitat. The selling point was that the top mesh can hold a 15 pound cat without breaking. I tested it with both my cats for a total of 25 pounds, and the screen didn't even groan.

20231107_170233.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Branches, driftwood and rocks are best. Just wondering about the 250 watt, have you tested to see that you need that much ?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I was gonna ask the same question. Personally I use two 100W bulbs and they are dimmed to 40% right now to heat my 210 GAL tank.
Depending on how high up you'll put your furniture under the lamp but your enclosure has such a nice hight, it would be a shame not to get some climbing branches under it :)

Your idea with the hide is really good imo

As for substrate I like natural looks with loose substrate. That makes it easy to anchor down those branches as well but thats just me...

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Branches, driftwood and rocks are best. Just wondering about the 250 watt, have you tested to see that you need that much ?
Yeah, I've had the light set up, and for two solid days, the temp reaches max 92° right where the probe is. I'm not 100% sure on what the temp is yet right under the light, because I'm still trying to figure out how I want to make his house. I want it to be enriching, but not overwhelming.

The habitat he was in had slits on the sides, so I was never able to get the temp up high enough for him without the 250 watt. I used to do a 100 and a 150, but it would only get to about 85-90, max. Now that his house is 2 feet tall, not 16 inches, I could also drop his basking spot down too.

I still have time, because little dude is zonked right out.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was gonna ask the same question. Personally I use two 100W bulbs and they are dimmed to 40% right now to heat my 210 GAL tank.
Depending on how high up you'll put your furniture under the lamp but your enclosure has such a nice hight, it would be a shame not to get some climbing branches under it :)

Your idea with the hide is really good imo

As for substrate I like natural looks with loose substrate. That makes it easy to anchor down those branches as well but thats just me...
Yep, I wanna put a ton of branches in there. I think he gets bored right now, he always wants out. So much so, he uses the slits in his current house to climb up and escape out of the broken screen.

I have suction cups to use on the walls, and I'm gonna hot glue anything I possible can. My concern with substrate is that I want to put a ramp up so that when I'm home, I can just open his door and he can come out when he wants. So, I can't put the substrate shield up. I know he loved the sand, and I'm not too worried about impaction now that he's big. He's never shown any affinity for eating things that aren't food. So I might put a layer of sand down.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Yep, I wanna put a ton of branches in there. I think he gets bored right now, he always wants out. So much so, he uses the slits in his current house to climb up and escape out of the broken screen.

I have suction cups to use on the walls, and I'm gonna hot glue anything I possible can. My concern with substrate is that I want to put a ramp up so that when I'm home, I can just open his door and he can come out when he wants. So, I can't put the substrate shield up. I know he loved the sand, and I'm not too worried about impaction now that he's big. He's never shown any affinity for eating things that aren't food. So I might put a layer of sand down.
Yeah, dehydration and a lack of calcium are way more common causes for impaction anyway. Mine loves his sand and it looks and feels a lot more likte their natural enviroment.

I'm just throwing some random ideas out there, you could build something with rocks or wood behind the door. To stop the substrate from falling out. Like a little wooden ramp or something.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, dehydration and a lack of calcium are way more common causes for impaction anyway. Mine loves his sand and it looks and feels a lot more likte their natural enviroment.

I'm just throwing some random ideas out there, you could build something with rocks or wood behind the door. To stop the substrate from falling out. Like a little wooden ramp or something.
Oh yeah, just like an inch or two. Enough to keep the substrate in, but still lets him have easy access to his ramp. I gotcha. It would make it look nicer too. The substrate barrier that came with his house is 6 inches tall, that's too much.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom