Discolored toe + Nail length

TheGreenLing

Beardie name(s)
Lizary
Good evening,

First time reptile and bearded dragon owner. I did hours of reading before I got her. But have a question about her toes.

I got her locally from an individual who said they got her a year ago as a rescue from someone else. I asked all the usual questions and the person stated she was in good health, no metabolic bone disease, was gaining weight good.

I have had her for about a week and been wondering if her second toe (the longest one) on both back feet should be discolored. Not sure if this is normal as it is the same on both sides. She is still quite shy, and she doesn't really seem to move around when I am around, but if I leave and come back she is often found in different parts of the tank. So I don't know if she is really using it. When she is basking it seems to just be hanging (not sure if this is usual) Please see photos and let me know what you think. Might be totally fine and I am overthinking things.

Also, does her nail length look okay, or do you think they should be trimmed? Do you guys buy special clippers for this?

Thanks in advance for the advice, lots to figure out as a new lizard owner.

Note: Sorry if the tank looks crowded I just bought that new basking spot today, and seeing if she will use it. I originally had a different basking spot made from a stick leaned on a log in order to get more height, but she never seemed to want to climb on it so thought I would try this one. It's more of a resin material so might hold heat a bit better.

Note thought it might be retained shed, I did give her a bath yesterday because she had shed on her tail that was kinda stuck. It did help that part but nothing for the toe.

Attachments

• 20240411_173609.jpg
    20240411_173609.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240411_173613.jpg
    20240411_173613.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240411_174124.jpg
    20240411_174124.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240411_175016.jpg
    20240411_175016.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 27

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good evening,

First time reptile and bearded dragon owner. I did hours of reading before I got her. But have a question about her toes.

I got her locally from an individual who said they got her a year ago as a rescue from someone else. I asked all the usual questions and the person stated she was in good health, no metabolic bone disease, was gaining weight good.

I have had her for about a week and been wondering if her second toe (the longest one) on both back feet should be discolored. Not sure if this is normal as it is the same on both sides. She is still quite shy, and she doesn't really seem to move around when I am around, but if I leave and come back she is often found in different parts of the tank. So I don't know if she is really using it. When she is basking it seems to just be hanging (not sure if this is usual) Please see photos and let me know what you think. Might be totally fine and I am overthinking things.

Also, does her nail length look okay, or do you think they should be trimmed? Do you guys buy special clippers for this?

Thanks in advance for the advice, lots to figure out as a new lizard owner.

Note: Sorry if the tank looks crowded I just bought that new basking spot today, and seeing if she will use it. I originally had a different basking spot made from a stick leaned on a log in order to get more height, but she never seemed to want to climb on it so thought I would try this one. It's more of a resin material so might hold heat a bit better.

Note thought it might be retained shed, I did give her a bath yesterday because she had shed on her tail that was kinda stuck. It did help that part but nothing for the toe.
Lets have ahbd take a look --
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hello, I also think that it looks like a lingering shedand will probably come off on it's own soon. They do shed in crazy ways with bits + pieces or large areas shed while other areas are still hanging on.

TheGreenLing

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lizary
@AHBD Are the nails too long? Should I trim them or leave them? Do I need to get special nail clippers or do human nail clippers work?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They're just a bit long, nothing too bad but type in youtube" how to cut beardie nails" + they will show step by step how to clip them.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom