crickets are not good as a stable protein source

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Those feeders are good for bearded dragons that age and they can still eat it as they get older. I'm assuming you also offer greens/veggies daily, too.

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
I don't understand why you single me out, LOL. You must have missed the part where other people were talking about mealworms. I could not agree more though, mealworms don't have much protein.

claudiusx":3a8vy4vp said:
DNADragons":3a8vy4vp said:
Mealworms have been proven safe for decades, they may not have the nutritional value of an exotic insect or a. domsetica but they are a fine treat.

This discussion is about the OP wanting a new staple feeder insect for a good protein source.

Mealworms don't fit this even if you are for or against them so they don't need to be brought up in this thread. All mealworm discussion does is lead to arguments.

Best Staple insect IMO is butterworms and silkworms. Although, the key to a healthy dragon is a varied diet. You wouldn't want to eat the same thing everyday and you shouldn't force your dragon to either.

-Brandon

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
I have heard of the phosphorus issue too. I would like to find more information on this. Either way, they make a poor staple.

Also, consider floating the greens in water. I have heard this may help. Though the best way is to start feeding greens when young, or find greens they likes (kale and dandelion greens are usually a big hit. Also consider adding herbs, cilantro is very attractive to many of my animals.

some
ShannyBeard":3mv7ta29 said:
DNADragons":3mv7ta29 said:
Mealworms have been proven safe for decades, they may not have the nutritional value of an exotic insect or a. domsetica but they are a fine treat.

I agree. A few mealworms aren't going to hurt a bearded dragon. I feed the very small mealworms to my anoles several times a week. The real problem with mealworms is the way they affect calcium absorption. They are phosphorous heavy and it causes an imbalance. They don't dust very well with calcium powder, either. The powder comes off very easily in transfer because they have such a shiny shell - it just doesn't stick. I have found if you use a powder with a very fine grind it will stick better. If you are just feeding them as treats, then dusting them isn't a huge issue either way. I personally don't feed them to my dragons because they are so high in phosphorous and they aren't worth feeding. I'd rather have my dragon fill up on something with a better nutritional balance.

My favorite wormy feeders are silkworms and Repti-worms, and I also feed crickets.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Because your post was the only post implying that they could be a suitable staple feeder.

-Brandon

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Brandon. Knowing your position I can certainly see where I could have clarified on my earlier responce. I often do not transition from two different thoughts very well on the discussion forums. I did state "fine as a treat" but my over-emphasis is easily misinterpreted. From my experience working with bearded dragons and closely with other professional breeders is that mealworms pose no threat, but they are in no way shape or form fit to be a staple. I hope this better clarifies my statement.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Honestly I did not see you say as a treat at first, so that is my mistake.

I agree with you, they are in no shape or form suitable to be fed as a staple, but I still wouldn't feed even as a snack; that's just my opinion.

But thank you for clarifying. I didn't see that you said that until you mentioned it.

-Brandon

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
DNADragons":d90u4207 said:
Also, consider floating the greens in water. I have heard this may help. Though the best way is to start feeding greens when young, or find greens they likes (kale and dandelion greens are usually a big hit. Also consider adding herbs, cilantro is very attractive to many of my animals.

Interesting strategy! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom