crickets are not good as a stable protein source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyldrose

You can feed Dubia roaches, meal worms, super worms, waxworms(very fatty), repti(phenoix) worms(Expensive), Hornworms(expensive $1+ each), and silk worms. If you don't like crickets. Crickets are a good stable protein sorce, if someone told you it wasn't they are mistaken.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Do NOT feed meal worms, they have almost no nutritional value and are a serious impaction risk. Do not feed super worms to a beardie under 16" long either.

Dubia and crickets are the most common staples. If you keep crickets clean, warm and healthy, they are very good for your dragon.

sanchezjc

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Kan I put a zoomed heat pad on my plastic container ? Because I want my crickets to get big meaty an bulky monster big

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
You can (and I do) but you will ABSOLUTELY NEED a dimmer switch or thermostat, otherwise the UTHs get WAY too hot and can melt the plastic. You can buy a dimmer switch from Home Depot or any other hardware store for $8-12, or you can buy a thermostat (Hydrofarm sells an okay one for $15) which will keep the temperature constant. Remember though that feeders for your beardie shouldn't be larger than the space between their eyes, so humongous crickets might not be great. However, warm, well fed, clean crickets are the healthiest and most nutritious, as well as being less likely to transmit parasites to your BD.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202051121&R=202051121

This is what I use. You need a probe thermometer, placed on the heat pad to make sure it isn't getting too hot.

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPRTC-Digital-Thermostat-Heat/dp/B000NZZG3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326870934&sr=8-1

This allows you to set the temperature and it will remain stable. With the dimmer switch, it will fluctuate depending on room temperature.

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Mealworms have been proven safe for decades, they may not have the nutritional value of an exotic insect or a. domsetica but they are a fine treat.

Careful with any new insect, sometimes your bearded dragon will eat too much and throw up or get slightly impacted. Just be careful and ease into all new feeders (even soft insects can make Dragons bloated or make them regurge.

No matter what insect you feed your dragon it is as only healthy as the food you feed it. Make sure all dead bugs removed from insect colonies, fresh whole fruit and veggies and water should always be available.

I have fed hundreds of thousands of mealeorms, superworms, and every other insect avavailable to my large colony of dragons, and I have never had an impaction. Other breeders experience the same thing as I do. It is isolated and likely related to poor health, improper temperatures, too large of prey and a lack of healthy gut Flora.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
DNADragons":63nn3741 said:
Mealworms have been proven safe for decades, they may not have the nutritional value of an exotic insect or a. domsetica but they are a fine treat.

I agree. A few mealworms aren't going to hurt a bearded dragon. I feed the very small mealworms to my anoles several times a week. The real problem with mealworms is the way they affect calcium absorption. They are phosphorous heavy and it causes an imbalance. They don't dust very well with calcium powder, either. The powder comes off very easily in transfer because they have such a shiny shell - it just doesn't stick. I have found if you use a powder with a very fine grind it will stick better. If you are just feeding them as treats, then dusting them isn't a huge issue either way. I personally don't feed them to my dragons because they are so high in phosphorous and they aren't worth feeding. I'd rather have my dragon fill up on something with a better nutritional balance.

My favorite wormy feeders are silkworms and Repti-worms, and I also feed crickets.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
DNADragons":1xziu8ch said:

This discussion is about the OP wanting a new staple feeder insect for a good protein source.

Mealworms don't fit this even if you are for or against them so they don't need to be brought up in this thread. All mealworm discussion does is lead to arguments.

Best Staple insect IMO is butterworms and silkworms. Although, the key to a healthy dragon is a varied diet. You wouldn't want to eat the same thing everyday and you shouldn't force your dragon to either.

-Brandon

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Dubia roaches are great. In my opinion, if you want to stop feeding crickets entirely and feed dubia and worms, that would be a great diet. I would feed dubia and rotate out silkworms, butterworms and the occasional waxworm as a treat. That would be a good live feeder diet.

sanchezjc

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
But my beardie is over a year old already an the younger one is bout to be 1year in a coupled of months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom