Brumation. . .yet again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
Anyone else having their BD's start brumation again this year?? Bella has been sleepy the past couple days :? I dont remember her starting this until later on last year :( Oh well. . . :?

LJean

Extreme Poster
Oscar started slowing down and sleeping more about a month ago. He always seems to start brumating early. He is still waking and eating, but I don't see that lasting too long. Calypso doesn't seem to be slowing down yet. This will be her first year brumating, if she does it.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Scorch has been going back and forth between gorging herself and then only eating a couple feeders a day. She has been taking long afternoon naps too.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Zoom Zoom's appetite decreased, in August till just a few days ago, like September 27th and 28th she started increasing her appetite and her outside activity. Today, I'm not sure what they'll do as it's chilly and rainy (yes, AZ does get rainy days, just not that often). It rained all night last night and is still sprinkling, has been all morning. It isn't a day to take them outside as it's too cold for them outside now. Speedy is even panking on her basking spot, which is unusual for them.

Kit has been acting funny this last week for sure. I didn't think brumation starts this early??? I live in S. Florida and the temps outside are maintaining, but the daylight is the only thing changing really.

Sun-Tues this past week (end of September), he did not move out of the corner of the cool side under branches. He was awake, but not interested. Weds I got him outside in the direct sunlight for a few minutes, put him on me and just played. He finally ate a little on Wed I believe and had a pretty nasty poo on Thurs. :oops: He got a bath Thurs and has been stand-off-ish since then. He's slowing down and showing little interest in his greens. I hand fed him 6 crickets today, that's all I had and probably all he would take. He doesn't eat crickets in loads anymore.

Kit will be 1 years old this month, we gave him the Halloween BDate. :evil: He did not brumate last year. I'm sure this is what is beginning here, but how do I know for sure. Also, he hasn't been seen by a vet at all since we've gotten him b/c he's not shown signs of being sick. Should I have a reptile vet see him before the onset on brumation? This year? Every year? I have taken him to Underground Reptile for those guys to see him and check out his overall health and appearance. Everything looks great and everyone else comments on how beautiful and healthy he is. :)

Again, another change :study:

Suncat

I have two bearded dragons. Snickers, a female who's a little over a year old and Spud who is a year old. Snickers went through burmation this past spring. Then, a few weeks ago, she started slowing down and didn't want to eat her salad (but was eating the roaches I gave her). I changed her UVB bulb (Reptisun 10) just to be sure that the lighting was not the problem. In the past few days she has gone to the coolest part of her cage and has stopped eating all together. She is not losing weight, so I think she is burmating again! Spud, on the other hand, is still his rowdy self and shows no signs of slowing down :shock:

BTW, they are in separate enclosures.

jennvee

Sorry to go off topic here but where are you located, Kitt? I got my beardie at Underground! Love that place, but been buying my crickets at Ben Siegel just because it's a little closer. Sorry for the hijack Amy!

We're West Boca but travel to Underground for sights and crix sometimes. Looked at their beardies and compared with Petco. At the time, Petco was closer and Kit was in very good health. Still is. :) But we venture in time to time. Love all the other stuff in there too. How long ago did you purchase from them? Any other animals from them? I love that place and my boys do too. Thanks and best wishes...

jennvee

No, just got my one beardie from there. My sister did get her chinchilla from them years ago. Which Petco did you go to?

GZDRAGON

hey guys is 8 to 9 month to early for the first brumation
because my beardy is acting just like that eating and sleeping...

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
GZDRAGON":d93df said:

Sorry to hijack the thread!! But yes! Check your temps and what type uvb bulb you have!! Good luck...

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
GZDRAGON":c5a4d said:

Every thing I read says that they don't brumate under one year. Someone forgot to tell that to Zoom Zoom. Last December (middle) she was about 6 months old. She did a semi brumation where she wouldn't want to get woken up before 10:30 am, when her lights went on at 6am. She didn't eat much only what we could put in her mouth while she was gaping. This lasted until the middle of March. After that she decided she wanted to eat more than she had prior to December. Also, she only lost 3 grams, gained 2 then lost them again.

Keep track of how much yours weighs now and, say every week. If he looses too much, like 20 or 30 grams, get him checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom