Coming out of Brumation

Booey123

Beardie name(s)
Rex
Hi all hope you’re all well. Just wanting to pick your brains on Brumation. My little man is brumating for the fist time and he’s just over 1 year. He’s been asleep for around 7 weeks now with the occasional leg stretch and wiggle. I have had him since 5 months old and wanted to know what to do for him once he wakes. Obviously offer water and food but should I leave him be contact wise for a few days? I’m missing him terribly and can’t waiting to have him out again and having cuddles. Will I have to start the bonding process again?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It may take him a few days to warm back up to you, but it won't be like bonding from the beginning. Be sure to get his lights back on a full days schedule.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Thank you, always like to check with you guys. I can imagine once he wakes he’ll be a little cranky so will leave him to warm up for a few days first
Thanks 💛
Yeah when my Hazel first woke up, I left her for a few days. Once I finally put my hand in there she kinda puffed up so I showed my face and she literally SMILED and ran to the glass begging to get out!! The bond never breaks ❤️❤️

It may take him a few days to warm back up to you, but it won't be like bonding from the beginning. Be sure to get his lights back on a full days schedule.

There might be many different people that will disagree with me, but in captivity you should NOT let them brumate. They do that in the wild for survival purposes and lack of food. We provide them with daily food, supplements and all the things they dont have. When they sleep for 7 weeks (😬) they can end up with gut rot. There is no way for them to empty their fecal/urates before going into brumation. It will sit there and the food will rot. We give them their best lives and this isn't a way nor is loose substrate.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Most beardies will stop eating and empty their systems before going into brumation. After they are down you should only offer water. Trying to stop a beardie from brumation that is ready will be stressful for the beardie. It is a natural process and we should not interfere with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom