2butlerbeardies

Beardie name(s)
Ursula and Nugget
Greeting fellow Beardie lovers!

First time posting - I have found so much helpful info and facts here and could really use some advice.
I will just get to the facts:

Terrarium: approx 90 Gallons
Lighting: 2 - 75w heating bulbs x 15 hrs daily, avg temp 89-95. 1 UVB light x 15 hrs
Humidity: avg 45-50 daily
Diet: summer greens, large meal worms, crickets, Blueberries, dried omnivore mix - offer greens & berries daily, worms/crickets 4-6 every other day, sometimes every 2-3 days, dried food when nothing else is working
URSULA: pale dunner, 1.5 yrs old, obtained at 3 months old from reptile breeder, currently weighs .13 oz
NUGGET: citrus dunner, same age and demographics - weighs 14oz
I may get some backlash about this but they have been together since they were 8 wks old and we have kept them together. So yes, they are in the same habitat and up until recently (after 2.5 month brumation - first one) they have been "off". SIDENOTE: The breeder told me that we could keep them in the same tank bc they are both females and tend to do well.
PROBLEM: post brumation - hormones are raging! Restless, black bearding, nipping necks, separating (usually cuddle buddies), claiming territory on the top hammock closest to the light, window surfing, and questionable mating behavior (one on top of other, ? Display of dominance)

We take them out separately daily and spend 1 -2 hrs with them especially when I hear them running around in their tank. They are super relaxed, give cuddles and seem to enjoy it.

Anyone with 2 females that have been having the same issues? How long did it last? Should we temporarily separate? If so, can we ever put them back together? Should I be preparing for some eggs and have a nest ready?

I haven't really seen anything mentioned on this topic so I'm really excited to get some feedback!

Thanks everyone!!!

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
It doesn't surprise me that they don't want to be together. Beardies aren't considered social. They prefer to be alone, especially once they've reached maturity, which yours have.

They may be starting to get ready to lay eggs, and I know nothing on the topic because I have only one beardie and he's a guy, but I'm pretty sure females don't want others around when they're laying eggs.

FYI, when talking about your husbandry, make sure to also lost what you're using for uvb. It's the most important piece of info anyone will need ro help diagnose problems or concerns. They'll want to know the type of bulb and output. Coils are bad, very bad.

It's kinda off the wall, but the names Ursula and Nugget seem familiar for a set of beardies. Like, I've seen videos or posts elsewhere about your girls. Anyway, welcome!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have 3 females, they get along pretty good. Ruby will seek out anyone including my boy to snuggle with. Sweet Pea seeks out Ruby to snuggle with. Snickers snuggles with whoever is close "sometimes" but there is no way I would ever house them together. As good as they get along they still bicker sometimes. Their bite is strong enough to amputate limbs or tails.
If your girls are testy with each other even a little seperate them. It isn't worh the risk.

2butlerbeardies

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ursula and Nugget
It doesn't surprise me that they don't want to be together. Beardies aren't considered social. They prefer to be alone, especially once they've reached maturity, which yours have.

They may be starting to get ready to lay eggs, and I know nothing on the topic because I have only one beardie and he's a guy, but I'm pretty sure females don't want others around when they're laying eggs.

FYI, when talking about your husbandry, make sure to also lost what you're using for uvb. It's the most important piece of info anyone will need ro help diagnose problems or concerns. They'll want to know the type of bulb and output. Coils are bad, very bad.

It's kinda off the wall, but the names Ursula and Nugget seem familiar for a set of beardies. Like, I've seen videos or posts elsewhere about your girls. Anyway, welcome!
I really appreciate your response and advice about the uvb lighting.
They were both good today, no "fighting" or dominance issues. I did purchase another 40g tank and plan to get that set up over the weekend.
There names are def off the wall...my boys named them. At the time my youngest was studying the solar system and just thought that it fit her. Nugget was given her "gender neutral" name bc my older son was fascinated that beardies can morph genders and bc she is kinda brownish lol.
I wasn't aware there were other Ursula's and Nuggets out there...I can assure you it wasn't us tho. 😀 Thanks again for the info and welcome xjrosie!

2butlerbeardies

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ursula and Nugget
I have 3 females, they get along pretty good. Ruby will seek out anyone including my boy to snuggle with. Sweet Pea seeks out Ruby to snuggle with. Snickers snuggles with whoever is close "sometimes" but there is no way I would ever house them together. As good as they get along they still bicker sometimes. Their bite is strong enough to amputate limbs or tails.
If your girls are testy with each other even a little seperate them. It isn't worh the risk.
Thanks for the info xp29! I def don't want the girls to hurt each other! It's so weird that I never saw that kind of behavior from them until after their 1st brumation. Today, they were fine tho. No aggression, dominance or head bobs...some pacing and climbing corners but that was about it. I did purchase another tank and plan on getting it set up this weekend. It makes me sad to separate them tho (and ughhh, it's just another thing to keep clean lol)
How old are your ladies? They sound like a lovely bunch and I'm sure you thoroughly enjoy them!
Did they ever act stir crazy when they came out of brumation? Have they laid eggs? I just feel like there are so many things that can happen and I guess I just want to be prepared.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Nugget was given her "gender neutral" name bc my older son was fascinated that beardies can morph genders and bc she is kinda brownish lol.
kids come up with the best names sometimes!! my 25 year old daughter just named our new pressure washer. it is named Queen. and that's because under pressure came on the radio when we were talking about names. (yeah, we name power tools and cars LOL!!!!)

where did your son get that information about gender morphing? to my knowledge, that is not true. actually it is the first time i've heard it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for the info xp29! I def don't want the girls to hurt each other! It's so weird that I never saw that kind of behavior from them until after their 1st brumation. Today, they were fine tho. No aggression, dominance or head bobs...some pacing and climbing corners but that was about it. I did purchase another tank and plan on getting it set up this weekend. It makes me sad to separate them tho (and ughhh, it's just another thing to keep clean lol)
How old are your ladies? They sound like a lovely bunch and I'm sure you thoroughly enjoy them!
Did they ever act stir crazy when they came out of brumation? Have they laid eggs? I just feel like there are so many things that can happen and I guess I just want to be prepared.
Two are rescues so a can only guess, the other was sub adult when i got her so I have a little better idea. Ruby and Sweet Pea (the rescues) should be around 4 each, Snickers should be 3. My boy Sinatra will be 2 April 27. They do get stir crazy at times, especially when they are gravid. I've had 85 eggs since the first of January. Most don't start laying until 2 to 3 years old, but some can lay much sooner, @Acidburn has a 1 year old that just had multiple clutches.
I feel ya on more to clean lol, I was cleaning 5 until my boy Zen passed. But they are worth it, if I had time to devote to them I'd have who knows how many lol.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
kids come up with the best names sometimes!! my 25 year old daughter just named our new pressure washer. it is named Queen. and that's because under pressure came on the radio when we were talking about names. (yeah, we name power tools and cars LOL!!!!)

where did your son get that information about gender morphing? to my knowledge, that is not true. actually it is the first time i've heard it.
I think that is info that gets mixed up that actually does have a small amount of truth to it. Gender can be effected by temperature during incubation. If I recall correctly being incubated at higher temps produces more females and lower more males. I also recall reading somewhere if you incubate at the higher temps to force females that it can cause them to be less mentally acute, but I'm not sure of the validity of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom