bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grogshla

Juvie Member
Sure mate wood would be a nice option. Haven't seen too many enclosures with wood floor but i think that the wood would hold the heat well. Tile is normally used on the warm side as the slate holds the heat better when the lights are switched off at night.

Anything hard like that is perfect. Don't put anything with glues or sealers under the basking lamp as it can give off fumes.

Basically as long as your dragon is young it is better to keep him off loose beddings as he can eat bits of it when hunting for food as they are clumsy eaters. Once your dragon is full grown you can put him on desert sand.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
Loose substrate is not good for any bearded dragon of any age, no matter what the pet shops tell you or what you read online or in books, they should not ever be put in danger of swallowing something they cannot digest.. need I repost the link to the story of how my boyfriend's 3 year old beardie suffered 3 painful impactions from calcium sand? It's not something I want to see any beardie owner go through.

Grogshla

Juvie Member
calcium sand is notoriously dangerous to bearded dragons. Sorry to hear of that.
I personally agree. Keep them on tiles

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
Wood would be ok, except if he poops on it, might be more porous than say tile or slate, and could potentially harbor more bacteria and be more difficult to clean.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Wood flooring would need to be sealed. This makes it a long process, as poly sealants take weeks to fully cure. If you used engineered wood, like pergo or something, then you wouldn't have to seal it, but it would probably be too slick to walk on. That actually applies to real wood too....texture is necessary for them to get some grip.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
The second impaction was so painful for him that he black bearded during the passing of the impaction and was trembling with his butt swollen.. a good 8 inches of poop came out. Afterward, he closed his eyes and started to sink lower in the water, so I scooped him out.. suddenly he collapsed in my hands with his eyes shut. I freaked out and started crying.. I was sure he had died in my hands, but he woke up a couple of minutes later. When I realized he had collapsed in pain, I immediately started crying again and cuddled him. It shattered me to see him like that. It hit me hard emotionally, and I can tell you I didn't sleep much that night. I am adamantly against loose substrates, period. I pray that none of you ever have to go through what I did.. please, I beg you, do not use loose substrates. :cry:

Ya I have to agree with BadCon on this. Wood is not a good option. Unfinished wood is really hard to keep clean and sealed wood would have no texture (unless you sand it). If sanded then it might work but not sure if that is the look you want.

If you need something till you decide and care about looks then Zilla Reptile Terrarium Liner will work. It comes in all kinda sizes and it's easy to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom