Loose bedding?

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
Since I’ve immersed myself in many different reptile communities, I have gotten so many contradicting opinions on loose bedding. I’m not talking about sand, but I’m moreover talking about the use of loose bedding, that isn’t fine, but more course and in bigger chunks.

So what’s everyone’s opinion on using course and big chunk bedding? I personally use it for both of my dragons, since they love digging, and have never experiences any problems with them eating it. I usually hand feed, since I can monitor if they are eating or not, and bugs are fed outside of the enclosure.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think it largely depends on the animal, two of my beardies have tried to eat rocks from the time they were babies. 3 others never looked twice at them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What are the bigger chunks, larger rock or wood pieces/chips ? Anything they can fit in their mouth is a swallowing hazard.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
What are the bigger chunks, larger rock or wood pieces/chips ? Anything they can fit in their mouth is a swallowing hazard.
It’s basically large chunks of wood, or like bark, and my boys can’t fit them into their mouths easily, and they have never shown any interest in eating it

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It can still be swallowed accidentally and is very hard to clean . There are pros + cons to all loose substrate but I'd pick sand -sand topsoil or go with non adhesive shelfliner + newspaper.

Last edited:

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
It can still be swallowed accidentally and is very hard to clean . There are pros + cons to all loose substrate but I'd pick sand -sand topsoil or go with non adhesive shelfliner + newspaper.
Yeah- I’m planning on switching to a better substrate like a topsoil once they next need a clean, in about 2 weeks from now.

sheliah

Beardie name(s)
charlee

Attachments

• 20221025_145545.jpg
    20221025_145545.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20221025_224338.jpg
    20221025_224338.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20221025_224521.jpg
    20221025_224521.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 76

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom