Douglas fir bark pieces for hides.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Alex
IMG_1562.jpeg

So for the past couple months I’ve been using pieces of Douglas fir (pseudotsutsuga menziessi) to create hides for my lil’ pumpkin. For me it’s free and readily available (and already used in reptile bedding products). Thickness ranges from 1 to 4 inches in some cases. It does leave behind a bit of debris, especially since Superworms seem to love it they bore in then become beetles. So occasional fun snacks are provided too (or breeders)

Attachments

• IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1436.jpeg
    IMG_1436.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1296.jpeg
    IMG_1296.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1273.jpeg
    IMG_1273.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 53

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Every single species of evergreen 🌲 is toxic to reptiles. Use it with extreme caution ⚠️ ⚠️. Ideally it should be sealed but thats kinda hard with bark.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Every single species of evergreen 🌲 is toxic to reptiles. Use it with extreme caution ⚠️ ⚠️. Ideally it should be sealed but thats kinda hard with bark.
Pines, cedars, redwoods etc… have chemicals to prevent insects and burning. Douglas fir just grows really thick bark to protect itself instead. I was going to use cedar at first until I read about it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cedar is the worst it should be avoided. One of my dragons was having twitching and spasms and nothing was helping, i came across an article about everygreen by complete accident , i got rid of all the pine hides and anything else made of evergreen and the problems cleared up shortly after. I can't say for sure thats what was the cure because i completely revamped my husbandry as well, but i don't use any kind of evergreen now.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
I had wanted to use it or Madrone because it just matches her well lol But one I started looking into it I shelved it until I got a random ad for Douglas Fir repti bark for bio active vivariums. That led me to read up on it and realize I basically have an infinite supply lol

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Infinite supply is good lol, my guys tend to poop all over their decor and i end up replacing it ALOT 🤪

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom