Bearded dragon suddenly tired

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
My bearded dragon was fine yesterday. Today, he looks tired, and I think he is trying to sleep. Today, he dosent want food as much. Please help!

Attachments

• D61CB87A-A935-4D76-84F0-83197465CF9E.jpeg
    D61CB87A-A935-4D76-84F0-83197465CF9E.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 71

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, that's one of the last things you ever need for a dragon. Enemas are almost never needed but vets thibk it's a good idea for constipation. This is 100 % related to the enama and laxatives.

So how long had he not pooped before the vet gave this treatment ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What are your temperatures and how are you taking them — gaping is a bearded dragon’s way of thermoregulating which doesn’t generally mean they are too hot, but if your temperatures exceed 110 degrees Fahrenheit he is definitely going to be too hot.

Don’t use stick-on thermometers or temp guns, they are wildly inaccurate (stick-ons don’t measure surface temps or ambient temps adequately and temp guns are meant for cooking). The best your going to get is a digital probe thermometer on each side.
The O.P had a vet that unfortunately gave the dragon an enema and laxatives, that is the problem 100 %.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Oh no, that's one of the last things you ever need for a dragon. Enemas are almost never needed but vets thibk it's a good idea for constipation. This is 100 % related to the enama and laxatives.

So how long had he not pooped before the vet gave this treatment ?
Only two weeks. He was having diarrhea before which was from inflammation. Then, he stopped pooping. He gave him an ennema because he didn’t want him to be constipated for too long.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You mentioned he was " tired " which is typical but some actually die because the water pressure ruptures the intestines. That may not have happened but why is he being given laxatives now ? Two weeks without a poo is not unusual at all but vets are giving costly and dangerous enemas when all the dragon needs is a little natural stuff. Canned pumkin w/out spices, baby food squash or prunes, applesauce all with a drop of veg. oil will help them. But 2 weeks was no emergemcy at all, he didn't need the enema or laxatives. I'm not blaming you, most owners don't know this and inexperienced vets can cause more harm than good at times. Make sure that Cole is hydrated now and stop the laxatives, he's worn out and possibly feeling sick as well as dehydrated.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
You mentioned he was " tired " which is typical but some actually die because the water pressure ruptures the intestines. That may not have happened but why is he being given laxatives now ? Two weeks without a poo is not unusual at all but vets are giving costly and dangerous enemas when all the dragon needs is a little natural stuff. Canned pumkin w/out spices, baby food squash or prunes, applesauce all with a drop of veg. oil will help them. But 2 weeks was no emergemcy at all, he didn't need the enema or laxatives. I'm not blaming you, most owners don't know this and inexperienced vets can cause more harm than good at times. Make sure that Cole is hydrated now and stop the laxatives, he's worn out and possibly feeling sick as well as dehydrated.
He hasn’t had laxatives for two weeks.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
I went to the vet. Vet said he was probably feeling bad from all the diarrhea and constipation. And to try to get him to eat during the weekend. He also said he was probably depressed from everything.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah he didn't need the vet from the start. An enema forcefully drains the colon and then the Lactulose or Enulose is kind of like sipping on the prep liquids before getting a colonoscopy but doing so for days. So just let Cole rest and offer bits of food whenever he wants some. No more squash or laxatives, he's drained out and exhausted.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Yeah he didn't need the vet from the start. An enema forcefully drains the colon and then the Lactulose or Enulose is kind of like sipping on the prep liquids before getting a colonoscopy but doing so for days. So just let Cole rest and offer bits of food whenever he wants some. No more squash or laxatives, he's drained out and exhausted.
He has been wanting lots of crickets. Should I stop the squash? I was stopping it, but I thought it would help with his hydration if I gave him some.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom