bearded dragon infected skin or funges help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. That looks like yellow fungus to me. You can put monistator lamisil on it and don't give him baths as it will spread.

49ers559

Original Poster
Hi Destiny1998 which will u prefer monistat or lamisil and how do I put it on him how many times a day cause as u seen on the picture it's pretty bad

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I know that in the Dealing with Infectious Diseases section there is a thread called Living with yellow fungus that has lots of good information on it. It's by sammycakes and her beardie had it. Hopefully you can get it under control.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
If you have other dragons, you will want to make sure there is no opportunity for cross contamination. Yellow fungus is easily spread. If the monistat/lamisil does not get this under control quickly, you may want to consider a visit to a reptile vet.

49ers559

Original Poster
destiny1998":89t6jexe said:
Hi. That looks like yellow fungus to me. You can put monistator lamisil on it and don't give him baths as it will spread.
Hi Destiny1998 which kind of monistat do I get for my bearded dragon is it any kind or is there a certain one I gotta get

Xoya

This looks quite a bit more advanced than can be solved with just using simple cream-coverage.

It wasn't until I found this particular set of posts when dealing with this with our beardie, Darwin, that things started to look up for her. Her situation was about as severe as yours. In spite of our vet being convinced her toe would die and fall off, it essentially .. regenerated from the inside out. She even fully shed her claws on that foot and regrew them. Crazy, eh?

http://www.reptileboards.com/threads/yellow-fungus-disease.65567/

The key for us was actually daily baths using a clorhexidine solution that can be bought online from amazon a gallon at a time for something like $24. We combined daily and twice daily clorhexidine (diluted of course) baths with a cream that included the active ingredient in Tinactin -- forget what it's called right now -- and while it's been a long recovery that had us seriously worried she might lose her entire foot at one point, she's almost fully recovered. We still have to put anti-fungal cream on her foot and leg daily else it comes back, and we keep her in a very sterile environment. Everything gets washed using the clorhexidine solution at least every three days, and her paper towels get replaced daily. She also poops in her morning bath so we don't have to worry about that.

Another key thing for us was making sure that her entire basking area (especially the area where her fungus is most apparent) is at 100-110. It's harder than it seems, unfortunately, and can take a couple of well-placed low-wattage incandescent/halogen bulbs.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Oh dear that looks like very advanced yellow fungus. I have a beardie who caught it from an infected rescue I had a almost two years ago. It's a hard thing to deal with. As said, lamisil and chlorohexidine baths will help a lot, it's done wonders for my boy. I also treat him with Reptaid to help his immune system.

As others have said, keep him on a substrate that can be changed every day. Either paper towels or newspaper. And keep him away from other dragons. It is so easily spread, I know that all too well. Anyone here with an infected dragon can understand how difficult it can be to treat :( But it can be done! My vet told me Trey was facing certain death within a year. But it's been nearly two years and he's still going strong. Most of his fungus is gone. Stay strong and keep us updated!

49ers559

Original Poster
Hi everybody took my bearded dragon to the vet to day it is yellow fungus the Dr is ordering some treatment for it and he gonna do surgery on Monday at 8:00am to take off all the dead skin/fungus he did say it is a bad case of fungus he kinda didn't know how to treat it he said he had to do some research he said it will take a couple months to cure it

49ers559

Original Poster
Hi everybody took my bearded dragon to the vet to day it is yellow fungus the Dr is ordering some treatment for it and he gonna do surgery on Monday at 8:00am to take off all the dead skin/fungus he did say it is a bad case of fungus he kinda didn't know how to treat it he said he had to do some research he said it will take a couple months to cure it

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry about your poor beardie ! I just wanted to mention that I've never heard of a vet taking it off via surgery, and you say he has no experience withY.F. ? ....this may not help and may be extremely painful, I'm guessing. Please take the time to look at the cases of Y.Fungus in the infectious disease forum, there are posters with a lot of experience dealing with it. Dylanraven, who has posted here, may have some insight for you. Your vet not being familiar with it would make me very nervous. Please look at the threads I mentioned, or p.m. one of those posters who are successfully treating their dragons. The usual treatments are the ones that other posters here have mentioned, plus an oral med. called voriconazole. Antibiotics are not helpful and can be harmful, and some inexperienced vets prescribe them. I don't think a single poster's dragon had surgery [ correct me if I'm wrong ] .....just wanting you to be cautious. I hope the best for your poor beardie !

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You know, AHBD is absolutely right. I am spoiled by having an excellent reptile vet. I forget that most are not so lucky. I have never heard of a surgical option for YF, either. AHBD is giving you excellent advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom