Hemipene or spermplug Rescue dragon

Dragymama

Beardie name(s)
toothless Cain Ruby
Help needed. I have a rescue dragon. I have had a few months and have been working to get him better but this showed up after a soak and poop today.
About him: he is at least 5 by old owner. He had no heat or uvb for is first years and they fed him pellets and cricket when he was lucky. He is very stunted with MBD. He has a hard time climbing and catching food so he has greens free feed every day but is hand fed all live food. I now feed him Dubai, hornworms, super worms, crickets. He has an amazing appetite, has been drinking and pooping though his poops are kind of small. He seems very happy. All his Temps are on point

I have been soaking him every other day and today I noticed this coming out of his vent and had some bleeding. He also has this lump on his lip that I have been treating with medical honey.

Is this a horrible sperm plug that I should try to get out or is it a necrotic hemipene. What do you guys think. I have a vet apt but it's 2 weeks out and all the reptile vets kinda suck around where I am.

Attachments

• 20240410_164354.jpg
    20240410_164354.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240410_164439.jpg
    20240410_164439.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240410_164432.jpg
    20240410_164432.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240410_164328.jpg
    20240410_164328.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ouch, that really looks painful for him. I am not positive what that is, but it is either some type of
prolapse or possibly a hemepene that is damaged somehow.
Is there any way you can get him in sooner? Don't let them do anything like an enema because
that damages them internally & many times it is fatal.
You can use some raw honey on that area too. You can try soaking him in a cool sugar bath to
see if the swollen area will go down perhaps. That can help with swelling & inflammation.
Do you have him on a solid substrate? Do your best to keep that area clean to best ward off any
infection.
I'm glad that he has a great appetite, that is important. What UVB light are you using?

Tracie

Dragymama

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
toothless Cain Ruby
Hello,

Ouch, that really looks painful for him. I am not positive what that is, but it is either some type of
prolapse or possibly a hemepene that is damaged somehow.
Is there any way you can get him in sooner? Don't let them do anything like an enema because
that damages them internally & many times it is fatal.
You can use some raw honey on that area too. You can try soaking him in a cool sugar bath to
see if the swollen area will go down perhaps. That can help with swelling & inflammation.
Do you have him on a solid substrate? Do your best to keep that area clean to best ward off any
infection.
I'm glad that he has a great appetite, that is important. What UVB light are you using?

Tracie
He is on tiles and has an Acadia t5. I have done d sugar and honey since I noticed it but it has not helped as of yet. I am calling one more vet tomorrow to see their next apt.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, how is he doing today, any improvements at all so far? If not, then it is likely a prolapse of
some type, it's hard to tell what. How is the color?
To help keep the area from drying out, try to keep some vaseline or antibiotic ointment on it, to keep the
area moist. Hopefully they will be able to take care of that surgically. I hope that they are knowledgeable
& helpful for that. Don't let them do anything like an enema or a procedure like that because most of the
time it is harmful for them & in some instances, fatal. They will need to be gentle & hopefully will be able
to get the area placed back & then they may have to stitch up a small area there, not sure.
He is probably calcium deficient, is my best analysis. That is usually one of the most common reasons
that they prolapse, poor muscle tone. Since you had mentioned his stools were small, there is a chance
he is or has been impacted to some extent from previously & that also contributes to prolapses as well.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom