Wounded chin

r_sha

Beardie name(s)
Poco and ester
My 5 year old dragon has got a big open wound on her chin, i don’t know how she got it but it’s bleeding. I’ve cleaned it and put some antibiotic powder on it but looking for a bit of advice. Apart from the wound she seems well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 5 year old dragon has got a big open wound on her chin, i don’t know how she got it but it’s bleeding. I’ve cleaned it and put some antibiotic powder on it but looking for a bit of advice. Apart from the wound she seems well.
Please post a pic of the wound --- make sure your using a good UVB NO coils please - you can put some raw unfiltered honey on it -- please NO crickets in the tank -- example of a honey would be Manuka its spendy but any raw unfiltered honey will work -

r_sha

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poco and ester
6098EC65-202B-49D5-BA46-9DB86ABDEF9F.jpeg

The white around the wound is antibiotic powder.

r_sha

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poco and ester
I’ve put manuka on it, no heat rock and a arcadiaD3 12% uvb tube, 3 months old. I’ve just taken lot of their furniture out, thoroughly cleaned the tank and laid newspaper to minimise any more damage. So tank looks different from normal. Their light has just gone out so I’ll post set up tomorrow. Thank you for your advice so far.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’ve put manuka on it, no heat rock and a arcadiaD3 12% uvb tube, 3 months old. I’ve just taken lot of their furniture out, thoroughly cleaned the tank and laid newspaper to minimise any more damage. So tank looks different from normal. Their light has just gone out so I’ll post set up tomorrow. Thank you for your advice so far.
their??? Is there more than one dragon in the tank? The screen on the tank will determine placement and distance for the UVB --- what type of screen ? fine mesh or a wide hole ? is it in the tank?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please switch the news paper to paper towels. The ink in news paper is incredibly strong and could cause respotory irritation. I'm personally extremely sensitive to anything perfumey. I can't read a news paper it sets my sinuses on fire, it could do the same to your beardie.

r_sha

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poco and ester
Please switch the news paper to paper towels. The ink in news paper is incredibly strong and could cause respotory irritation. I'm personally extremely sensitive to anything perfumey. I can't read a news paper it sets my sinuses on fire, it could do the same to your beardie.
I’ve replace newspaper with paper towels. I do have two dragons but they get on so well and have grown up together, I could separate them. It’s a glass screen, 150 gallon tank. I’ll show you a photo tomorrow of their set up and I’d very much appreciate your opinion.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

I’ve replace newspaper with paper towels. I do have two dragons but they get on so well and have grown up together, I could separate them. It’s a glass screen, 150 gallon tank. I’ll show you a photo tomorrow of their set up and I’d very much appreciate your opinion.
Please separate the dragons---- I cannot stress this enough- are they male / female -- female / female --- if they were two males one would be dead by now so ..... dragons should never be kept together unless your breeding them - the injury could be related to them not getting along and you not knowing --- but that is a guess --- I just know one of them is really stressed out - one will be dominate over the other that is a characteristic of dragons --- it would take a second for a fight to insue and you would / could have a dead dragon or a severely injured one ---

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I have two females that absolutely love each other, and every time they are out, they seek each other out, but i still won't house them together. Even as good as they are together they still vie for dominance once in a while.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's the two on the left, thats how they are 99% of the time, but it's the other 1% is why they have separate habitats.

Attachments

• 20230705_195226.jpg
    20230705_195226.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 57

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ouch, that looks incredibly painful!
It appears to be a bite most likely since you mentioned you have two dragons in the tank
together. Most of the time, you will have some type of trouble when housing together. Are
you able to separate them immediately?
I would recommend using the raw unpasteurized honey or the manuka honey either one. I
think it would help heal that up a little faster than the antibiotic powder. What is the name of
the antibiotic powder though, do you know?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

r_sha

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poco and ester
Hello,

Ouch, that looks incredibly painful!
It appears to be a bite most likely since you mentioned you have two dragons in the tank
together. Most of the time, you will have some type of trouble when housing together. Are
you able to separate them immediately?
I would recommend using the raw unpasteurized honey or the manuka honey either one. I
think it would help heal that up a little faster than the antibiotic powder. What is the name of
the antibiotic powder though, do you know?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
I’m trying to source another tank so to separate them, not so easy. We inherited these dragons a year ago and they’ve been so good together, up until now. I go away next week and am now really worried about leaving them with the house sitter. I’m alternating there roaming about the house today so they are not alone together, it’s quite sad. It was vetzyme, veterinary anti bac powder that I was using.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m trying to source another tank so to separate them, not so easy. We inherited these dragons a year ago and they’ve been so good together, up until now. I go away next week and am now really worried about leaving them with the house sitter. I’m alternating there roaming about the house today so they are not alone together, it’s quite sad. It was vetzyme, veterinary anti bac powder that I was using.
Ok so your going to need two set ups ---- try finding a 40 gallon on Craigslist or FB marketplace -- you can also get a large tote like 40 gallon but I would look first for a used tank - temp till you can get a nice set up from some websites we can post for you -- do not leave the dragons together when you leave please get them separated - you can also divide the tank in half so they can share the UVB place it in the middle of the tank and have half on one side the other over the other half - get another basking bulb but you do need to separate them --- Tracie will haft to advise on the powder -- how is the wound looking now w/ the honey on it? Make sure you have two digital probe thermometers for your surface basking temps --

r_sha

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poco and ester
Ok so your going to need two set ups ---- try finding a 40 gallon on Craigslist or FB marketplace -- you can also get a large tote like 40 gallon but I would look first for a used tank - temp till you can get a nice set up from some websites we can post for you -- do not leave the dragons together when you leave please get them separated - you can also divide the tank in half so they can share the UVB place it in the middle of the tank and have half on one side the other over the other half - get another basking bulb but you do need to separate them --- Tracie will haft to advise on the powder -- how is the wound looking now w/ the honey on it? Make sure you have two digital probe thermometers for your surface basking temps --
Wound looking a lot drier today. I’ll try dividing the tank for now. Thanks

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom