Best place for beardie tank?

xMaxthekidd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joey
As posted before, I may be acquiring my brother’s beardie and moving him to my room, the thing is I’m not quite sure where to put him. I have a sort of small room, and the places I can think to put his new tank would be: by the window (of course then I would have to keep the curtains closed), on my dresser (though it may be too small), or in my closet (it has no doors). I wouldn’t have any other place to put it that isn’t in the center of my walkway, and I’d rather not have the window closed all the time the area by the window is big enough though. I would put him on my dresser but it isn’t bolted to the wall and I’m afraid it may fall over if the cage is too big. The closet can be cleaned out and wouldn’t be a problem except I don’t know if it is safe for him, it’s pretty dark without his light and it’s not very near any ventilation, though a perk is there is an outlet very near.

I’m a bit stumped and I’m not too knowledgeable on tanks and placement so I could use a second opinion.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
by the window (of course then I would have to keep the curtains closed)

I think this sounds like a good idea! Why do you think you would have to keep the curtains closed?
I have my dragon's tank next to two windows (he's in front of a window and on the right side of the tank is also a window). The curtains are open during the day, and he loves watching what's going on outside.

The tank doesn't overheat close to the windows (might be a problem for species who like it cooler, though). You should always keep track of the temperatures in the tank, regardless of being there windows or not.

Here you can see my dragon's tank (and the dragon :D) next to the windows. You see the curtain in the corner; it's there as the curtain can only be opened that way and I cannot remove it. Both the back of the tank and the right side are facing windows and the curtain is only hanging down in the corner.

Attachments

• watchful.jpg
    watchful.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 24

xMaxthekidd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joey
I think this sounds like a good idea! Why do you think you would have to keep the curtains closed?
I have my dragon's tank next to two windows (he's in front of a window and on the right side of the tank is also a window). The curtains are open during the day, and he loves watching what's going on outside.

The tank doesn't overheat close to the windows (might be a problem for species who like it cooler, though). You should always keep track of the temperatures in the tank, regardless of being there windows or not.

Here you can see my dragon's tank (and the dragon :D) next to the windows. You see the curtain in the corner; it's like that as the curtain can only be opened that way and I cannot remove it. Both the back of the tank and the right side are facing windows and the curtain is only hanging down in the corner.
Ah! I read somewhere else that it might get too hot but I suppose you’re right! my brother also has it near a window but the blinds are always closed so I sort of assumed it needed to be. He does enjoy looking outside when I take him out of his tank so I think this might be the winner

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
It gets hotter, but with a well-ventilated tank it should not get too hot for a bearded dragon. (Of course you have to measure the temperature, regardless where you place the tank.)
We're here in a quite hot part of the country, you could compare it to Southern California, it's so warm here all year long that even modern nice apartment buildings have no heating at all (!) - but the temperature in the enclosure is just right.

What material is your tank (if you already have it, or the one you plan to get) made of? Most tanks are not full glass (this one is*); for some enclosures, there is the option of choosing a window for the back or side panel, or some people also added a window to the enclosure on their own.

*for a few reasons, but one of the reasons is simply that I cannot get any large professional reptile tanks here in Chile (as strange as it sounds to maybe somebody in the US or in Europe: keeping reptiles is something super unusual here, the same as with any kind of pets not being cats or dogs), so I had to get this tank made by a glass company; the other reason is I wanted to make use of the corner with the two windows

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
The tank being close to a window is (assuming your dragon likes to look outside) usually not a problem.
Direct sunlight hitting the tank all day long can lead to overheating though. Like a glasshouse for growing plants. On the northern hemisphere you might want to stay clear of southwards facing windows and vice versa. If you have a full mesh top, this might not be an issue, but I'm not sure as I use only wooden tanks as they are better insulated.

Where are the vents on the tank? Front, top or on the sides?

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
The tank being close to a window is (assuming your dragon likes to look outside) usually not a problem.
Direct sunlight hitting the tank all day long can lead to overheating though. Like a glasshouse for growing plants. On the northern hemisphere you might want to stay clear of southwards facing windows and vice versa. If you have a full mesh top, this might not be an issue, but I'm not sure as I use only wooden tanks as they are better insulated.

Where are the vents on the tank? Front, top or on the sides?
Here on the Southern hemisphere it's indeed a North and a West facing window (so like the southward facing windows on the northern hemisphere) and not obscured by anything like trees or large buildings.
The room where the enclosure is has basically two "walls" being full room-height windows. I can safely keep open one window a bit all day long, and on most days I do so.
The enclosure has a full mesh top. There are no other vents (it was built like a fish tank). I have the setup now for close to a year and I wouldn't switch it out or something else.
It gets for sure warmer in the enclosure with the direct sunlight, but not too much, all temperatures are spot-on. (I had a similar setup for pets who don't need any UV light but usually a heater, and with a similar placement near a window I could omit the heater; yes, it gets warmer.)
I'd recommend, and so did I: Measure the temperature before the dragon moves in. Assume it gets hotter in summer.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom