Trichomonas

Raindrop37

Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hi all.

Just looking for some advice from all you experienced beardie owners.

My beardie Toothless is approx 2 years old. I don't think her poops have been amazing since maybe year one but they weren't horrible until last year. I did take her to a vet and I can't remember how long ago but I'm going to guess a year ago. Things went up and down until lately they got bad.
Basically liquid at point point she pooped out water. So I went to a different vet as the first just tested for parasites didn't find anything and that was that, nothing got much better and no more advice was given.

This new vet and I agreed she looks healthy. Her colour is good, her shedding is good, her appetite is fantastic, she's active, she's slightly puffy (and or chubby) but otherwise looks great....it's just her poops.
I wasn't able to provide a fecal sample until a few days later and in that time she gave me an antibiotic in hopes it was bacterial infection in her bowels. Her poops got better and I was able to give her a good fecal sample.

They got back to me that she has Trichomonas. I am happy that it was something because I was getting pretty stressed, exhausted and tired from worrying so much.

A few things id like your advice on:

Is it a coincidence that the other antibiotic was helping? Her poops might not have been perfect in the last few days but I haven't seen them that good in a long time (She's had the other antibiotic for 5 ish days now)

How could she have picked it up? Is there something I am doing or not doing? How can I prevent this? Can I prevent it?

She mentioned disinfecting her tank and everything in it. Is there a really good way to do this? She mentioned cleaning with vinegar diluted in water as well as cleaning her dishes and furniture with diluted javex and dish soap? I haven't heard of that combination before.

She has some hammoks are those even able to be disinfected properly?

She also has a fake rock background from universal rocks. Should i disinfect that as well? Any tips on how?

I've been reading a little bit about giving her a probiotic. Any advice on that, should I start now? How to get her to eat it?

Thanks for reading and passing along any advice.

Last edited:

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Hi all.

My beardie Toothless is approx 2 years old. I don't think her poops have been amazing since maybe year one but they weren't horrible until last year. I did take her to a vet and I can't remember how long ago but I'm going to guess a year ago. Things went up and down until lately they got bad.
Basically liquid at point point she pooped out water. So I went to a different vet as the first just tested for parasites didn't find anything and that was that, nothing got much better and no more advice was given.

This new vet and I agreed she looks healthy. Her colour is good, her shedding is good, her appetite is fantastic, she's active, she's slightly puffy (and or chubby) but otherwise looks great....it's just her poops.
I wasn't able to provide a fecal sample until a few days later and in that time she gave me an antibiotic in hopes it was bacterial infection in her bowels. Her poops got better and I was able to give her a good fecal sample.

They got back to me that she has Trichomonas. I am happy that it was something because I was getting pretty stressed, exhausted and tired from worrying so much.

Is it a coincidence that the other antibiotic was helping? Her poops might not have been perfect in the last few days but I haven't seen them that good in a long time (She's had the other antibiotic for 5 ish days now)

How could she have picked it up? Is there something I am doing or not doing? How can I prevent this? Can I prevent it?

She mentioned disinfecting her tank and everything in it. Is there a really good way to do this? She mentioned cleaning with vinegar diluted in water as well as cleaning her dishes and furniture with diluted javex and dish soap? I haven't heard of that combination before.

She also has a fake rock background from universal rocks. Should i disinfect that as well? Any tips on how?

I've been reading a little bit about giving her a probiotic. Any advice on that, should I start now? How to get her to eat it?

Not sure but I know others who can help:
@Drache613
@KarrieRee

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which antibiotic is she on right now?
It's hard to know where she could have picked up the Trichomonas, but dirty water is a common
place to harbor bacteria. Also, birds can also carry it & possibly spread it too.
As far as disinfecting your hammocks, you can wash them with hot, soapy water then rinse out &
let them air dry.
Actually I agree with the vinegar & water solution for disinfecting the tank & the decor. It isn't toxic
so you don't have to worry about fumes. Or you can use a steamer too for cleaning if needed. You
will want to dilute the vinegar solution down to a 1 or 2 parts vinegar to 10 parts water.
Are you giving a probiotic also?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Raindrop37

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Thanks everyone for reaching out.

So for the last week shes been on enrofloxacin for a possible bacterial infection until i could get a good enough fecal sample and get a proper diagnosis. That was helping....at least her poops have been waaaay better. Which was the main serious problem.

Then I was able to get a good sample and got a diagnosis of the parasite. So shes now also on metronidazole. Just got that yesterday.

Her appetite is gone. Which im assuming is because of the antibiotics. I just bought some cultured coconut yogurt and will try to get her to eat some this afternoon.

This is the first time in the 2 years ive had her she stopped eating. Otherwise ahe looks good. But obviously not pooping either because of the not eating.

Can i do anything to help with that? Or just let it run ita course?

My vet suggested its possible shes had thr parasite the whole time. Which im leaning towards because honestly her poops haven't been good for a long time but the first vet could never find anything.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Thanks everyone for reaching out.

So for the last week shes been on enrofloxacin for a possible bacterial infection until i could get a good enough fecal sample and get a proper diagnosis. That was helping....at least her poops have been waaaay better. Which was the main serious problem.

Then I was able to get a good sample and got a diagnosis of the parasite. So shes now also on metronidazole. Just got that yesterday.

Her appetite is gone. Which im assuming is because of the antibiotics. I just bought some cultured coconut yogurt and will try to get her to eat some this afternoon.

This is the first time in the 2 years ive had her she stopped eating. Otherwise ahe looks good. But obviously not pooping either because of the not eating.

Can i do anything to help with that? Or just let it run ita course?

My vet suggested its possible shes had thr parasite the whole time. Which im leaning towards because honestly her poops haven't been good for a long time but the first vet could never find anything.
It might be because of the antibiotics. I would just leave her be and if she will eat, then she will eat but her stomach might be upset at the moment from the antibiotics.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless her. The Enroflaxin/Baytril is harsh & will be a
cause of reduced appetite so hopefully the yogurt will
help out.
To help with appetite you can try some molasses a few
times per week along with her food too.
Be sure to keep her well hydrated while she is on the
medication. Keep her warm over night also to help with
her immune system.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Every time I've had to give antibiotics, mine lost their appetite. I used to Oxbow critical care to get at least a little sometimes in their bellies. (Mine all refused the probiotic yogurt) they didn't eat it super good but they did eat some.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, probiotics work really well & helps maintain the appetite while on medications also.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Raindrop37

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hi all!
Just an update. Today was the last day of antibiotics.
Toothless is eating a little. Not like she was but is eating some worms and just over the last few days has been eating a bit of her salads. I'll wait a little while after the antibiotics to see if her appetite returns.
Her activity is great. Which im really happy about.
She didn't want anything to do with probiotics.
She usnt pooping much but also isn't eating a lot and honestly I've been so used to her going every day for the last year that im sure its just an adjustment.
I was quite concerned about dehydration as she wasn't huge about eating her salads and isn't drinking when in the bath where she normally drinks.
I didn't want to syringe her water as shes already extremely mad about the antibiotics but i gave her 2 mls of water today in a syringe and she took it amazingly so ill keep that up until her appetite comes back.
Hopefully the antibiotics have done their job.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like the antibiotics have helped her out quite
a bit. She didn't want any of the probiotics either?
I'm glad to hear she is starting to eat a little bit now, so
hopefully her appetite will continue to improve.
If she is really active, that is a great sign!
They can be very stubborn when it comes to taking in
fluids, too. Do your best with hydrating her, maybe she
will adjust to taking it from a dropper.

Tracie

Raindrop37

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

It sounds like the antibiotics have helped her out quite
a bit. She didn't want any of the probiotics either?
I'm glad to hear she is starting to eat a little bit now, so
hopefully her appetite will continue to improve.
If she is really active, that is a great sign!
They can be very stubborn when it comes to taking in
fluids, too. Do your best with hydrating her, maybe she
will adjust to taking it from a dropper.

Tracie
Nope she didn't even want to touch.the probiotics. I'll see how she is in a few days and if I need to ill figure something out.

Any tips on hydration? If I do end up just hydrating from a syringe how much water and how often?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I use a plastic eyedropper, it's easier to control how much water is coming out. Don't give more than a drop or so at a time to avoid aspirating her. Give her as much as she wants at each setting. My guys will drink detween 1/2 to 4 droppers full in a setting. 1 dropper is the most common. Go slow give it to her at her pace.

EcoVivarium

Hi all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom