Surgery - Tail Partial Amputation

ccnmeru

Hello Beardie Family!!

Our 5 year old baby girl went to vet and she will be having surgery on her tail on 10/4. I’m a mess right now. If anyone has any recommendations or advice on aftercare? I’m really worried because vet is stating tail will be open to air. We will have to give antibiotics and pain by needle. So if anyone has anything they can add please let me know!! Please please please!! Don’t have updated tail but it’s a lot worse than the beginning. I will upload new pics of current tail.

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpeg
    IMG_3514.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3515.jpeg
    IMG_3515.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3486.jpeg
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3246.jpeg
    IMG_3246.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 65

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know you're scared and that's totally normal, still I'll try to ease your worries. Keep in mind that their tails don't feel too much pain at all and don't even bleed much when cut [ I know because I had a juvenile bite a good bit of another one back many years ago and the bitten one kept right on going, I don't think they ever even missed a meal ] Here is one of several Youtube videos showing a vet doing the surgery , it even looks to be about the same amount as yours. It really is a simple surgery. The vet describing what will happen starts at about the 45 second mark.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm guessing you'll want to use betadine or honey 🍯 after the surgery to keep it from getting infected

ccnmeru

Original Poster
I know you're scared and that's totally normal, still I'll try to ease your worries. Keep in mind that their tails don't feel too much pain at all and don't even bleed much when cut [ I know because I had a juvenile bite a good bit of another one back many years ago and the bitten one kept right on going, I don't think they ever even missed a meal ] Here is one of several Youtube videos showing a vet doing the surgery , it even looks to be about the same amount as yours. It really is a simple surgery. The vet describing what will happen starts at about the 45 second mark.

Thank you so much!! As soon as I get home from work I will be viewing the YouTube video!!!

ccnmeru

Original Poster
I'm guessing you'll want to use betadine or honey 🍯 after the surgery to keep it from getting infected
Awesome! Here at HEB buying the saline solution the vet recommended. I will also buy some betadine and honey while I’m here!! I don’t know what I would do without the bearded dragon family!!!

UPDATE:
The don’t sell betadine at HEB but got the honey!!

ccnmeru

Original Poster
Updated tail pictures as of today

Attachments

• IMG_3560.jpeg
    IMG_3560.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3561.jpeg
    IMG_3561.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 61

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you were able to get the honey for his tail. I am sure that will help alot to ward off
infection.

Tracie

ccnmeru

Original Poster
UPDATE:
Our baby is home and will be groggy/asleep for possibly 24 hours due to the anesthesia. Surgery went perfect. No sutures, no pain/antibiotics with needles.. all oral afterall. He did have to go a little higher as there were “scales” showing (not to sure about that). Leave open to air dry. I’m just so worried about keeping it clear of infection since it’s not close but I’m a OCD clean freak so I use gloves and items that are sterile all the time. Follow up in 10 days or sooner if needed. So hope she will be ok. Warning on the pictures. Please leave me any advice my bearded dragon family!!

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 48

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Bless her heart. It always hurts me to see the amputations, but it's better than letting it cause an infection to get into their blood. She looks like she's handling it well. Sending good vibes and hoping for a speedy recovery.

ccnmeru

Original Poster
Bless her heart. It always hurts me to see the amputations, but it's better than letting it cause an infection to get into their blood. She looks like she's handling it well. Sending good vibes and hoping for a speedy recovery.
It literally broke my heart to see her when we picked her up. Thank you for the good vibes!! 🫶🏼

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Goodness, poor thing! She will be fine, once it all heals up. It will be a little bit of an adjustment
for her but a lot of dragons end up doing perfectly fine with the loss of part of the tail.
I'm glad she is doing well after her surgery/amputation!

Tracie

ccnmeru

Original Poster
How is she doing ? I hope everything is O.K, waiting for an update.
Awww! Sorry I have been so busy with work and just watching over her as soon as I get home. You wouldn’t think she just had a partial amputation!! She is healing sooo good. Her post op is on Saturday. Pictures are day 3, 4 and 5. I will take day 7 today since it’s been exactly a week. Sorry for the writing on the picture it’s horrible. She’s taking her meds like a good girl and she’s still eating like crazy!!

Attachments

• IMG_3607.jpeg
    IMG_3607.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3608.jpeg
    IMG_3608.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3609.jpeg
    IMG_3609.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3610.jpeg
    IMG_3610.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 48

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom