Constipation?

Subion

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Any advice to help with possible constipation?

A few days ago she ate half a scrambled egg like she was starving even though she’s been eating good for last few weeks. She’s ate salad on her own, super worms, dandelion and blueberries over the past few weeks. Normaly she won’t touch her salad so I was giving her herbivore crit care the vet told me about. She also wanted me to try to get extra protein in her to get a little weight on her. So she’s had extra super worms and that’s why she had some egg. She’s only ever had egg once before when young.

Anyways a few days ago I gave her a bath (it’s when she usually goes potty) she struggled to get a little out and even then it was just hanging from her instead of coming all the way out. So I had to help her get it off. The urate was normal but the poo part was a bit solid. I could break it but it required a bit of pressure. Last night it happened again and it was a very small piece noting compared to what she normaly puts out or even close to what she took in.

I started 2 days ago giving her some pumpkin baby food and grind up banana with water to try to help her go since i read that stuff and applesauce could work as a laxative. I did hear olive oil can help which I plan to start today since I wasn’t sure how much to give I didn’t want to overdo it. She also had been getting a 30 min warm bath every night since she’s been having issues.

Is there anything else I could try to help her? I’m going to try to get a vet appointment set up just to be safe but it may be a week or so before they can get me in. I’ve had her 7 years and this is first time this has happened so looking for any advice.

I also should add in case it matters she’s been having a bad shed. Around one leg and under her chin it’s slowly coming off but it’s never been this slow too. She also has slept more the last couple days than she has been but that could also be the weather, it’s been in the 30-40 range here last few days.

Thank you in advance for any advice

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It sounds like you've hit all the bases, @AHBD @KarrieRee might have some advice.
A word of caution, don't let the vet do an enema it's extremely dangerous for them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Any advice to help with possible constipation?

A few days ago she ate half a scrambled egg like she was starving even though she’s been eating good for last few weeks. She’s ate salad on her own, super worms, dandelion and blueberries over the past few weeks. Normaly she won’t touch her salad so I was giving her herbivore crit care the vet told me about. She also wanted me to try to get extra protein in her to get a little weight on her. So she’s had extra super worms and that’s why she had some egg. She’s only ever had egg once before when young.

Anyways a few days ago I gave her a bath (it’s when she usually goes potty) she struggled to get a little out and even then it was just hanging from her instead of coming all the way out. So I had to help her get it off. The urate was normal but the poo part was a bit solid. I could break it but it required a bit of pressure. Last night it happened again and it was a very small piece noting compared to what she normaly puts out or even close to what she took in.

I started 2 days ago giving her some pumpkin baby food and grind up banana with water to try to help her go since i read that stuff and applesauce could work as a laxative. I did hear olive oil can help which I plan to start today since I wasn’t sure how much to give I didn’t want to overdo it. She also had been getting a 30 min warm bath every night since she’s been having issues.

Is there anything else I could try to help her? I’m going to try to get a vet appointment set up just to be safe but it may be a week or so before they can get me in. I’ve had her 7 years and this is first time this has happened so looking for any advice.

I also should add in case it matters she’s been having a bad shed. Around one leg and under her chin it’s slowly coming off but it’s never been this slow too. She also has slept more the last couple days than she has been but that could also be the weather, it’s been in the 30-40 range here last few days.

Thank you in advance for any advice
Cold weather will make them lazy--- please keep her hydrated- hydration is key for them to push the poop out as well ---did she drink any water in the bath? If shes drinking from the bath do not let her drink fast she will asperate -- plain baby food pumpkin will push the poop out NO banana --- olive oil will work as well w/ the unsweetened applesauce but I would stick w/ the baby food pumpkin-- please lay off the baths your drying her scales out -- stuck shed will come off eventually -- post a pic of her please -- if you take her to the vet NO ENEMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how long has it been since she hasn't gone poo ? How many superworms were fed to her, that's probably the cause ? The good news is that this is almost never a cause for a vet visit, especially because the natural laxatives that Karrie mentioned will work better than the man made stuff [ Enulose/Lactulose ] the vets prescribe. Plus the vets sometimes give enemas that have the potential to flood their G.I tract and even rupture a bowel. So keep trying the stuff Karrie mentioned and after a while Zilla will go. At times my dragons don't poo for 2-3 weeks, it's not a problem. Can you post a pic of Zilla ?

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Cold weather will make them lazy--- please keep her hydrated- hydration is key for them to push the poop out as well ---did she drink any water in the bath? If shes drinking from the bath do not let her drink fast she will asperate -- plain baby food pumpkin will push the poop out NO banana --- olive oil will work as well w/ the unsweetened applesauce but I would stick w/ the baby food pumpkin-- please lay off the baths your drying her scales out -- stuck shed will come off eventually -- post a pic of her please -- if you take her to the vet NO ENEMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh really. I just saw online that banana acted as an enema on multiple places I looked. That’s why I went with that. I did talk to a vet that I never seen before on the phone and they told me to give her 1-2 baths a day to help her go and to try olive oil or they could give me something to try and help if I want to bring her in. Seems like no matter who you talk to you always get a different opinion that contradicts what someone else has said. Even her vet she sees that’s a few hours away always says something different then Local vets lol. They all need to get on the same page so it’s less confusing. They did mention an enema as a last resort but I told them no.

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Hi there, how long has it been since she hasn't gone poo ? How many superworms were fed to her, that's probably the cause ? The good news is that this is almost never a cause for a vet visit, especially because the natural laxatives that Karrie mentioned will work better than the man made stuff [ Enulose/Lactulose ] the vets prescribe. Plus the vets sometimes give enemas that have the potential to flood their G.I tract and even rupture a bowel. So keep trying the stuff Karrie mentioned and after a while Zilla will go. At times my dragons don't poo for 2-3 weeks, it's not a problem. Can you post a pic of Zilla
Good to know. Last time se went was about a week ago that was a good bowl movement. It wasn’t until early in the week I noticed she was struggling to go. Usually she gets 3-4 super worms a week since we are trying to get some weight on her. I’ll get a pic tonight when I get home.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A little banana is O.K but pumkin is known through the beardie community and has worked for numerous b.d owners that have posted here on this sub. A 5 minute warm soak can help the day after the pumpkin, applesauce, baby food squash , olive oil [ any or all of those , even with a tiny bit of banana ]

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
A little banana is O.K but pumkin is known through the beardie community and has worked for numerous b.d owners that have posted here on this sub. A 5 minute warm soak can help the day after the pumpkin, applesauce, baby food squash , olive oil [ any or all of those , even with a tiny bit of banana ]
She’s been taking her pumpkin baby food or applesauce pretty good. I’ve also been giving her crit care with slot of water in it and syringes of water to help keep her hydrated as much as possible.

She tried to go potty tonight but struggled. Only thing that came out was urate and it was soft. A little later she struggled again and it looked like she had a bit coming out but she never got it out. Hopefully she gets through this soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpeg
    IMG_2461.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2462.jpeg
    IMG_2462.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 18

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Thank everyone. I did give her some prunes mixed with other stuff and mon night she did go bathroom some. Had a bit of hard on the end but was a little softer after that part. She didn’t even see me to struggle to get it out.

She must been feeling a bit better yesterday she got up at 8 am and around 1 I took her for a car rifle when I went down the road. She set up looking out the window the whole time. Soon as we got home though she was ready for bed. She didn’t even want anything to eat yesterday. I’m going to give her some more prunes and stuff for a few days just to be safe but hopefully she got all that out now.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom