too close to uvb bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Yes

Depends on the bulb, but every UV bulb has a recommended safe distance. That distance depends on the style and rating of the bulb. 100w mercury vapor bulbs typically have a "no go" limit of 12", that is...the animal shouldn't get any closer then that (most of the MVB's are still having design issues, and shouldn't be used at any distance). Repti-Sun 10.0 tubes have a safe distance of about 6", and that's pretty standard for tube style UVB bulbs. I don't recommend people use any "compact" style UV florescents, so the safe distance there would be infinity :p.

Why are there distance limits? Because as you get closer to a UV bulb, the intensity of the UV increases. Too much UV, especially the wrong types of it, can lead to various illnesses...perhaps the most common of which is photo-kerato-conjunctivitis (http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm). Conversely, the farther you get away from a bulb the lower the UV levels...which is why there are required distances for the bulbs to be effective. So really, you are working within a window of effectiveness and safety. To far away and it doesn't provide any benefit, too close and you're risking the animals health. The site I just linked has a great explanation about all things UV related. Its a good read for any dragon owner.

Most any brand worth a darn will print some general safety requirements on the bulbs packaging. Sometimes reputable sources will establish a different set of numbers for a specific brand, and sometimes the brand is so outrageously unsafe that no minimum distance is appropriate as they shouldn't be used (UV coil bulbs for example). I personally experienced a series of bulbs that had defects, and were NOT safe at the minimum recommend distance...resulting in my male dragon experience a minor case of photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. The damage could have been much worse if I hadn't made sure to keep my animal safely away from the bulb...I'm sure some other users weren't so lucky. So always make sure to pay attention to your lighting setup. For sun loving reptiles like beardies, its perhaps the most important facet of their lives.

beardcore

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so if i have a basking spot real close to the top should i use a 5.0? cause i can only raise the 10.0 2 inches and that will make it 5 inches.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Is that 5" to the basking spot, or 5" to the top of the reptile? If the beardy is sitting on the basking spot with their head tilted up, how far away is the UV tube? If its 5" to the top of the beardy, you should be alright, but I wouldn't let them get any closer. I wouldn't want them getting any closer regardless of the UV tube, as their output gets rather high up close...even 5.0 tubes. So if necessary, lower the basking. If by chance that's 5" to the basking spot...then its really only 3" or so from the animals skin and eyes...and this isn't safe.

I'm assuming this is some kind of platform raised off the bottom of the viv? Does your tank have a screen at the top? Would it be possible to put this between the UV tube and the basking spot? This will block some of the UV emission, thus making the situation a wee bit safer. Can you raise the light fixture up with some wood (or anything else)?

beardcore

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Its a cork piece glued on. So. Can't move lower. Uv was just raised up I have hood so can't go extremely high. Yes it has a screen top. What should I do I have the 5.0 still. Also I could not have the uvb over his basking spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom