Positioning of lighting?

zonkey

Original Poster
Does anyone have a photo reference of how you should set up your heat lamp(s) and UVB tube? Like positioning wise on top of the mesh, where everything goes? Like how far back or forward or etc the UVB goes, and then how far the UVB should be from the heat lamp, etc… curious and also wondering if there’s any fire hazards if any of these things are like too close to each other or something? I will of course have the lamps for the bulbs and the hood cover on the UVB, and it will all be on top of the mesh lid. But just want to check on how exactly to position it all in relation to each other.

zonkey

Original Poster
EDIT: and the heat emitter! I forgot about that! I’m going to have a ceramic heat emitter that’s set up on a thermostat and timer to turn on at night. I was especially wondering how to position that in relation to the heat lamp and again my whole question about fire hazards and all that

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
EDIT: and the heat emitter! I forgot about that! I’m going to have a ceramic heat emitter that’s set up on a thermostat and timer to turn on at night. I was especially wondering how to position that in relation to the heat lamp and again my whole question about fire hazards and all that
It is best to have the basking lamp and UVB as close together as possible - sometimes that is not doable so here is a pic that can help -- you want the UVB 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece - if you haft to set up two different areas for basking that is ok -- the pic shows 6-8 inches that is too close for a 12% bulb --
1705858153513.jpg

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith

Arcadia has a good guide for this. They are one of the leading brand when it comes to lighting for reptiles.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
I don't mean to be controversal, but I'm not a big fan myself of the diagram above... Current knowledge is that you want your UVB and heat together. I can direct you to scientific studies if you want to go into the weeds on the subject.. but just think of it this way..

You are trying to replicate a "ray of sun" in your enclosure where the BD can bask and warm up/ get uv. Doing this is like a "team sport" where each player has a position and role.. They all converge together at one point to make the "basking spot"

I recently ran across this informative Blog post from a reptile lighting engineer that works with Zoos and private collections. He really explains it better than me.. if you are interrested. He has some good diagrams on there.

I've set up several of these now for family and friends succesfully and it's working great.. Feel free to hit me up and I can try to help.

Heat emitter: Not needed unless your house is getting below 55 degrees. Even then maybe you can use a room heater on low just to knock off the chill and keep the temps from below 55? CHE will dry out the air and it is natural for humidity to raise at night.. using the CHE can rob the dragon of that opportunity of more humid air at night so that is why I don't like them. Letting cool down at night is actually beneficial.. just as long as they get warmed up during the daytime. Basking spot of 105 to 108 degree so that they can get their belly to 98.5 degrees preferred temp when basking.. 100W bulb is really good for this.. I really like the EXO Terra Extreme basking bulb.. the quality and spread of heat is really nice.

You say you have a thermostat? Good. Use this on the cool side and hook up to your basking light. Set your thermostat to somthing like 82 degrees. If it's an on an off type thermostat not as good as a "dimming type" but honestly it's just there as a safety for if you get a heat spell some summer.. As long has you have a "cool refuge" for your guy to get away from heat you are good to go. If it's constantly going off from the thermostat.. probably have too large of a basking bulb or not enough ventilation.. but with a screen top ventilation shouldn't ever be a concern.

I know that's a lot of info so just hit me up if you need. It's acually easy once you understand why you are doing what..

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I don't mean to be controversal, but I'm not a big fan myself of the diagram above... Current knowledge is that you want your UVB and heat together. I can direct you to scientific studies if you want to go into the weeds on the subject.. but just think of it this way..

You are trying to replicate a "ray of sun" in your enclosure where the BD can bask and warm up/ get uv. Doing this is like a "team sport" where each player has a position and role.. They all converge together at one point to make the "basking spot"

I recently ran across this informative Blog post from a reptile lighting engineer that works with Zoos and private collections. He really explains it better than me.. if you are interrested. He has some good diagrams on there.

I've set up several of these now for family and friends succesfully and it's working great.. Feel free to hit me up and I can try to help.

Heat emitter: Not needed unless your house is getting below 55 degrees. Even then maybe you can use a room heater on low just to knock off the chill and keep the temps from below 55? CHE will dry out the air and it is natural for humidity to raise at night.. using the CHE can rob the dragon of that opportunity of more humid air at night so that is why I don't like them. Letting cool down at night is actually beneficial.. just as long as they get warmed up during the daytime. Basking spot of 105 to 108 degree so that they can get their belly to 98.5 degrees preferred temp when basking.. 100W bulb is really good for this.. I really like the EXO Terra Extreme basking bulb.. the quality and spread of heat is really nice.

You say you have a thermostat? Good. Use this on the cool side and hook up to your basking light. Set your thermostat to somthing like 82 degrees. If it's an on an off type thermostat not as good as a "dimming type" but honestly it's just there as a safety for if you get a heat spell some summer.. As long has you have a "cool refuge" for your guy to get away from heat you are good to go. If it's constantly going off from the thermostat.. probably have too large of a basking bulb or not enough ventilation.. but with a screen top ventilation shouldn't ever be a concern.

I know that's a lot of info so just hit me up if you need. It's acually easy once you understand why you are doing what..
100% true.
There are also really good modern options out for bulbs that emit light that is very close to natural sunlight. I posted those in your other thread with the halogen bulb question.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
Don't meant to overload you with info.. but if it helps here are some diagrams I drew up with 3 lighting designs I have used based on the budget of the person I was working with..

This is the "cheapest and simplest" Call it "Stage 1" You have your T5 UVB bulb and basking lamp on one side in a dome. Put the dome flat on the screen and then the T5 UVB Lamp next to it. Find a way to prop up one side to angle the UVB to the center of the basking bulb. You want the two lights to combine at the basking spot.

Screenshot_20240121_121817_Whiteboard~2.jpg

Upgrading to Stage 2 If budget allows..

Get yourself a dual dome fixture OR you can use two separate domes.. just like above but now you are adding an LED spot... Since the UVB bulbs are really not that bright adding this LED really brightens up the basking spot. This stimulates your dragon to bask more readily. It also fills in some of the missing spectrum of sunlight that is missing from the other bulbs.. Think of how you feel going outside on an overcast day verses a bright sunny day.. Isn't the bright sunny day better? You feel more alive and awake? More light is better for your Dragon!

What's great is that these LED bulbs are super cheap!

Screenshot_20240121_122457_Whiteboard~2.jpg

I call this "Stage 3" I am runnng this setup on my "Project Dragon Lair" if you care to follow. This really ups the light levels.. Great if you care to do bioactive.. grow some plants etc.. or you just like an evenly lit enclosure... This is going to get the light levels up quite high ,but not even close to harmfull.. As always provide a hide on the cool and warm side so they can choose to get away from heat/ light if they choose.

Screenshot_20240121_123042_Whiteboard~2.jpg

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom