Tail rot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen things about a darker tail being tailrot. And as I’m new to owning a bearded dragon (only having gotten my dragon Helios today) I want to make sure it’s in its best health. So is this tail rot?
105953-3275993616.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Info on tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.

2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs

How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.

2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.

What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
To me it looks like shed -- but check w/ the above info just in case
Karrie

IsaiahRedd

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3jbdrzdr said:
Info on tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.

2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs

How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.

2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.

What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
To me it looks like shed -- but check w/ the above info just in case
Karrie
Yes he/she is shedding so I think it May just be that. But I will surely keep an eye on it. Thank you!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

No tail rot there! Their tails can darken simply just the same as they can make their beards black when stressed or hormonal. Perfectly normal :)

Unless there is or was an injury to the tail, tail rot is highly unlikely and actually rarer than you might think.

-Brandon

IsaiahRedd

Original Poster
claudiusx":19mcbxde said:
Hi there,

No tail rot there! Their tails can darken simply just the same as they can make their beards black when stressed or hormonal. Perfectly normal :)

Unless there is or was an injury to the tail, tail rot is highly unlikely and actually rarer than you might think.

-Brandon
Oh thank you for reassurance I thought It was common and I was afraid it might get worse. Thank you, I feel better knowing that aspect of Helios’ health is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom