Stuck Shed

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Just want to know if anyone has good experience with stuck shed. I’ll post Bodie’s introduction here so you can get a good idea about her background: https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/meet-bodie-3.268203/

She’s doing pretty well. I’ve been giving her baths and have notices a few things about her scales. One, her tail looks like there is either shed coming, or stuck shed. I don’t know how to tell the difference and I’d like insight on that. If it’s normal she’s it should come off on it’s own but if it’s stuck she’d I’ll need to find a way to help get it off her.

B9FB816D-F65B-4E22-8D3B-A6DB9F217E99.jpeg

Two, she seemed to have old and brown shed around her neck. I was able to gently brush that off after 3 baths.

Lastly, her feet are all quite a bit darker than the rest of her color. It honestly does not look like rot, but I guess it could be the start of rot. However, my guess is that it is stains from poop that she was living in :/ also every time I put her in the bath I can smell a little stink, same smell as her poop. It’s gotten better but I think there is just a thin layer of poop on her skin that won’t come out. I gently scrub all her feet’s with a gentle brush. Could the dark scales on her feet also be stuck shed? Would it be retaining smell?

D02EE7A6-AC4C-4F0C-9542-129CE50843D9.jpeg
9C9632F8-A5B9-4885-9252-5FE645CC3E88.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C3B629C-D972-4A5F-BF7A-5B659FD017C7.jpeg
    8C3B629C-D972-4A5F-BF7A-5B659FD017C7.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 47

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Hey there. Glad to hear Bodie is doing good so far. Has she put on some weight?!

Honestly I can't see any shed she wouldn't be able to take care of on her own, given the proper husbandry.
I can confirm though that bearded dragons do fart sometimes 😂 mine does at least.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hey there. Glad to hear Bodie is doing good so far. Has she put on some weight?!

Honestly I can't see any shed she wouldn't be able to take care of on her own, given the proper husbandry.
I can confirm though that bearded dragons do fart sometimes 😂 mine does at least.
Mine do to lol.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Just want to know if anyone has good experience with stuck shed. I’ll post Bodie’s introduction here so you can get a good idea about her background: https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/meet-bodie-3.268203/

She’s doing pretty well. I’ve been giving her baths and have notices a few things about her scales. One, her tail looks like there is either shed coming, or stuck shed. I don’t know how to tell the difference and I’d like insight on that. If it’s normal she’s it should come off on it’s own but if it’s stuck she’d I’ll need to find a way to help get it off her.

View attachment 85167

Two, she seemed to have old and brown shed around her neck. I was able to gently brush that off after 3 baths.

Lastly, her feet are all quite a bit darker than the rest of her color. It honestly does not look like rot, but I guess it could be the start of rot. However, my guess is that it is stains from poop that she was living in :/ also every time I put her in the bath I can smell a little stink, same smell as her poop. It’s gotten better but I think there is just a thin layer of poop on her skin that won’t come out. I gently scrub all her feet’s with a gentle brush. Could the dark scales on her feet also be stuck shed? Would it be retaining smell?

View attachment 85168 View attachment 85169
Substrate can stain them, so poop probably could to. You can use a soft toothbrush to scrub her. If your smelling poop when you bathe her it's probably in her scales, it would be best to get her clean. She looks like she is improving.
I think the color on the feet is just natural coloration.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I forgot to weigh her day 1 so she was 94 grams after being fed several days and not pooping and 82 AFTER pooping, poor girl. I haven’t weighed her since but I have noticed her upper back legs are getting some size to them which is great! Her legs were so skinny.

Her pooping isn’t super regular yet but she went again yesterday.

The poop smell seems to be deep in her feet, I’ll keep gently scrubbing but I think she might stay smelly until she does a full shed. Hopefully she can shed and get all that nasty from her abusive home off her 💗 I’ve decided I’m going to keep her at least one more month to see how her weight does. If she starts growing fast I’ll be able to give her forever home more information on how to care for her.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Does anyone have a good photo of what stuck shed looks like though? The shed on her chin was BROWN and looked old so maybe it’s more like that? Came off pretty easy though. I just want to know for reference.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Young healthy dragons [ and most dragons of all ages ] rarely have " stuck " shed. It's an over used , mostly non existent problem that has grown like a weed on the internet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There can be very rare instances of the toe shed being restrictive, you can usually tell because it may look like a tiny rubber band tightly wound on the area . The same happens once in a great while on the tail but both of those examples are rare .

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Young healthy dragons [ and most dragons of all ages ] rarely have " stuck " shed. It's an over used , mostly non existent problem that has grown like a weed on the internet.
But Bodie is not young and healthy, she’s only small because she was neglected so badly for a year.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The shed eventually comes off on it's own though. The problems start when people have read somewhere that they need to help their head/legs/back/ tail shed when that can actually cause damage. Only every once in a great while is there a bit stuck [ bound ] around the toe or end of the tail , then you can use aloe and once in a while a few soaks and a toothbrush to help. Bodie looks good BTW.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
I don't know if anyone else would recommend this, but if Thor gets smelly, I will bathe him, but I'll put a dot of Dawn dish soap on his baby toothbrush and lightly scrub him. Just make sure he doesn't drink the water with soap in it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I don't know if anyone else would recommend this, but if Thor gets smelly, I will bathe him, but I'll put a dot of Dawn dish soap on his baby toothbrush and lightly scrub him. Just make sure he doesn't drink the water with soap in it.
Dawn likely stripes the natural oil from his skin, I wouldn't rrecommend it personally.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom