Tail color

Lizgrier

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bert
Bert has a dark ring around the base of the tail. I saw tail rot starts at the top so I don’t think that’s it. I am Super new to dragons so any help would be appreciated.

Lizgrier

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bert
IMG_8573.jpeg

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Bert has a dark ring around the base of the tail. I saw tail rot starts at the top so I don’t think that’s it. I am Super new to dragons so any help would be appreciated.
Tail rot does not start at the base of the tail— 99% of the time it starts at the tail tip, and dark coloration alone is not a good symptom to go by when getting a diagnosis of tail rot.

The key symptoms that you should watch out for are necrosis, sores, and dry scales. Try gently pressing on the affected area, if he flinched or shows signs of pain then it would be ideal to get veterinary intervention.

That is most likely an upcoming shed or simply natural coloration, nothing more.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with the others about it being a band of normal shed, no problem. As far as a dragon flinching if you press their tail, that can be totally normal and not a sign of pain or something wrong. Some animals naturally don't like their tails to be touched.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom