Tail rot?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
I’ve noticed his tail has been a bit darker on the end for a while now. I don’t think it used to look like that. Is it tail rot?

Solution
The tail can darken for multiple reasons just like the rest of the body. It's completely normal.

Tail rot is just a fancy term for infection of the tail. You don't get an infection without first having an injury or open wound. If the tail hasn't had an injury or open wound you're never going to have tail rot.

-Brandon

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
7F399C9A-E260-4ACF-8FDF-9053BE151086.jpeg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The tail can darken for multiple reasons just like the rest of the body. It's completely normal.

Tail rot is just a fancy term for infection of the tail. You don't get an infection without first having an injury or open wound. If the tail hasn't had an injury or open wound you're never going to have tail rot.

-Brandon

Solution

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole

-Brandon
Ok. He’s never had that. Is his tail being dark like that something I need to fix? Or figure out what’s causing it? Or is it ok?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok. He’s never had that. Is his tail being dark like that something I need to fix? Or figure out what’s causing it? Or is it ok?

It's normal. They can darken for a multitude of reasons from being alert and active to being cold and trying to absorb more heat.

If your husbandry is up to par you don't need to pay it much mind.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, his tail looks healthy & normal. As Brandon has suggested, tail rot is usually caused by
trauma & or injury that leads to infection. Perhaps his tail is going to shed soon?

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom