t8 or t5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayce82

Juvie Member
ok so I'm converting a tv stand into an enclosure. the inside height is almost 20". im going to mount all lights inside on the roof. should I go with a t8 or t5 bulb. im wanting to go t5 but will the uvb exposure be too great at that height?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would go with a T5. When used with good fixture they have optimal output at around 12'' below the bulb while a T8 provides just adequate UVB levels at around 6-8''. Taterbug created a great chart to help visualize the output from different lighting combinations here https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides But the short answer is go with a T5 with a fixture that has a reflector, connect it to the top right next to the basking light so you have good UVB over the basking area and less UVB elsewhere. Build at least part of the basking area to come up within 12'' of the bulb.

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok that's what I needed to hear. I just wasn't sure if that was too close cause I know that bulb is strong. hopefully be able to order bulb and fixture shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom