Feeding and Behavior

PogosMom2

Beardie name(s)
Pogo
I'm guessing where these questions might fit so bear with me. I've had Pogo for around 3 months. When I got her she was a bit thin so we got her on a decent diet of greens, crickets, plus super worms and dubia. I changed lights to a T5 and a basking lamp. I've slowly made changes to her tank and she has a basking platform made from rocks for height and topped off with a big paver (?) from the hardware store. I also created a larger hide out of bricks and pavers. Next purchase is the probe thermometer/hygrometer. Temp on hot side with current digital thermometer appears to be 100-115. Cool side is around 80. Humidity is 20-25% on hot side and 40% on cool side, She will drink about 5 drops a day from an eye dropper.

Pogo is 18" long so the estimate is that she's about a year old, or a bit more. First off, I think its time to go 80/20 with salads and bugs. Some advise on what and when to feed would be appreciated.

2nd is, when I made the new hide it took her about a week to go inside and lay down. I expected that would happen. The thing is, now that she's gone in, she stays in there all the time, 3 days now. She's barely eating and seems to sleep a lot. I live in Georgia. Its summer, which means hot and sunny, so brumation doesn't make sense.

Any input is appreciated.

Dawn

PogosMom2

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pogo
I'm guessing where these questions might fit so bear with me. I've had Pogo for around 3 months. When I got her she was a bit thin so we got her on a decent diet of greens, crickets, plus super worms and dubia. I changed lights to a T5 and a basking lamp. I've slowly made changes to her tank and she has a basking platform made from rocks for height and topped off with a big paver (?) from the hardware store. I also created a larger hide out of bricks and pavers. Next purchase is the probe thermometer/hygrometer. Temp on hot side with current digital thermometer appears to be 100-115. Cool side is around 80. Humidity is 20-25% on hot side and 40% on cool side, She will drink about 5 drops a day from an eye dropper.

Pogo is 18" long so the estimate is that she's about a year old, or a bit more. First off, I think its time to go 80/20 with salads and bugs. Some advise on what and when to feed would be appreciated.

2nd is, when I made the new hide it took her about a week to go inside and lay down. I expected that would happen. The thing is, now that she's gone in, she stays in there all the time, 3 days now. She's barely eating and seems to sleep a lot. I live in Georgia. Its summer, which means hot and sunny, so brumation doesn't make sense.

Any input is appreciated.

Dawn
Pictures of set up

Attachments

• IMG_0962.jpeg
    IMG_0962.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 71009007500__5AE0F8EC-3899-4BE5-A04A-346F4A909B77.jpeg
    71009007500__5AE0F8EC-3899-4BE5-A04A-346F4A909B77.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 62

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I see a little shed around her face, it could be the reason. Also beardies sometimes just have sleepy spells, they don't actually brumate but will nap around and just be lazy. Or she just might feel secure setting there. Most of mine have a favorite spot in their habitat and thats where they hang out most of the time. I have one that spends more time in her hide than out.
As far as feeding, i know everyone says switch them to 80/20 and that's fine, but i think it shouldn't be a line in the sand and if your going to do that do it gradually. Give them time to get used to it. If you (you being a generalization) started skipping breakfast or lunch every day you would certainly notice it, and probably wouldn't like it very much. I would think it's the same for them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Pictures of set up
Your surface basking temp is too hot -- please get it down to 95-100 ---- your screen looks like a fine mesh so the UVB needs to either go inside the tank or take the screen off --- it needs to be unobstructed directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches --- please make the adjustments then watch the behavior --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom