UVB and LED lighting

muskiemagic

Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
I have a 2x2x4 pvc enclosure and I'm currently using an arcadia 75w halogen for heat source and 36 inch Arcadia Pro T5 12% uvb light strip. I am thinking of upgrading to the Arcadia Lumenize series UVB and Jungle Dawn LED. I currently do not have any LED lights but would like to add them for secondary lighting. My question is can I downsize my UVB bulb from 36 inch down to a 24 inch and how long should I go with for the LED jungle dawn LED light bar? Can I also use a 24 inch LED or should I go with the 36 inch for that ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 2x2x4 pvc enclosure and I'm currently using an arcadia 75w halogen for heat source and 36 inch Arcadia Pro T5 12% uvb light strip. I am thinking of upgrading to the Arcadia Lumenize series UVB and Jungle Dawn LED. I currently do not have any LED lights but would like to add them for secondary lighting. My question is can I downsize my UVB bulb from 36 inch down to a 24 inch and how long should I go with for the LED jungle dawn LED light bar? Can I also use a 24 inch LED or should I go with the 36 inch for that ?
Yes you can downsize the 36" to the 24" for your UVB-- I use those in my 4x2x2 tanks- as far as the jungle dawn LED light bars I dont have a clue about those but I will flag your post to CooperDragon - he can help on this issue
@CooperDragon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Leds are just for ambient light to brighten things up. You can set them up pretty much how ever you like. I would make sure your beardie has a hide of some sort just in case it wants a dark place to retreat to

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Leds are just for ambient light to brighten things up. You can set them up pretty much how ever you like. I would make sure your beardie has a hide of some sort just in case it wants a dark place to retreat to
Yes I just want LED for extra lighting. My heat bulb is on a dimming thermostat so brightness is up and down so I want a good constant light besides the UVB as well. And yes my beardie has a place to hide and get out of light and away from heat if it wishes to. I also have another question. If you look close in the lower right hand corner of the pic you can see the head of my old girl. I have had her for 13 years and she was full grown when I got her. She rarely uses her dino basking decor anymore which reaches basking temp of 95 with temp gun and mainly just lies on the tiles where she is in this pic or on tiles directly behind the decor. I am concerned about that because she really isnt getting into the direct heat of basking bulb and she is further away from the uvb as well. She used to lay on her basking decor all the time but over time has gone away from it. Could this just be because of her age ? Is there anything I should change or just let her live out what she has left in her doing what she is doing ?

Attachments

• thumbnail_20240113_184330.jpg
    thumbnail_20240113_184330.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That is friggen cool, i want one lol. She may have trouble climbing it at her age, i would probably give her something easier to climb and see it she uses it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is a really nice looking setup. Do you have pictures of her as well?
For that sized tank, you definitely need it bright. As suggested, you can downgrade the length
of the UVB as long as she still basks & sits underneath of it primarily.
You could probably move the basking over just a bit to over lap more at one end, where she spends
more of her time at.

Tracie

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Thanks to your question I learned about the new Arcadia Lumenize. The UVB adjustment is great!
Do you know if old Arcadia T5 12% or 14% lamps are suitable for the new Lumenize? Did they just change the reflector and electronics or come up with a new type of UVB lamps?

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Thanks to your question I learned about the new Arcadia Lumenize. The UVB adjustment is great!
Do you know if old Arcadia T5 12% or 14% lamps are suitable for the new Lumenize? Did they just change the reflector and electronics or come up with a new type of UVB lamps?
I believe that the only thing that is different is the fixture itself. I think the bulbs themselves are the same. Im going to be buying the kit with the bulb included.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I believe that the only thing that is different is the fixture itself. I think the bulbs themselves are the same. Im going to be buying the kit with the bulb included.
If you don't mind, please tell us about this lamp after purchasing it.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
I just got my Lumenize stuff. It's really nice. So far it's great. Yeah it's the same bulbs.. Just don't dim them for too long as your animal won't get enough UVB throughout the day. I think Arcadia was recommending a 4 hour ramp up to full power, but I wouldn't recommend that. I plan on setting mine up with no more than 30 to 60 min ramp up until 100% to ensure that my animal has enough UV exposure throughout the day.

I was just reading this blog post from Thomas Griffiths on lighting. I've been really impressed with what he is doing for the hobby. If you don't know who he is, just briefly he is a lighting engineer from Movie and Film that is now an enclosure lighting consultant for mostly zoo's but private owners too. He does a lot of independent testing for Arcadia and others.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I just got my Lumenize stuff. It's really nice. So far it's great. Yeah it's the same bulbs.. Just don't dim them for too long as your animal won't get enough UVB throughout the day. I think Arcadia was recommending a 4 hour ramp up to full power, but I wouldn't recommend that. I plan on setting mine up with no more than 30 to 60 min ramp up until 100% to ensure that my animal has enough UV exposure throughout the day.

I was just reading this blog post from Thomas Griffiths on lighting. I've been really impressed with what he is doing for the hobby. If you don't know who he is, just briefly he is a lighting engineer from Movie and Film that is now an enclosure lighting consultant for mostly zoo's but private owners too. He does a lot of independent testing for Arcadia and others.

Thank you very much for your review! Yes, this is a huge breakthrough in UV lighting. I think that UV control will be useful not only in emulating sunrise and sunset, but will allow you to fine-tune the UVB level in the basking zone. This is probably more important for me. For example, I have an Arcadia 14% lamp and now I know that I can adjust its power and use it without risk! Now you don't need to adjust the height of the UV lamp. This is very cool.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
Thank you very much for your review! Yes, this is a huge breakthrough in UV lighting. I think that UV control will be useful not only in emulating sunrise and sunset, but will allow you to fine-tune the UVB level in the basking zone. This is probably more important for me. For example, I have an Arcadia 14% lamp and now I know that I can adjust its power and use it without risk! Now you don't need to adjust the height of the UV lamp. This is very cool.
Absolutely. It's much nicer when the lights gently come on than just BAM full blast. I think that's really the selling point and reason to upgrade to LumenIZE. You can also stagger your lights to come on at different times with separate timers too but its a bit more cumbersome and not as smooth. On my project I'm setting up now, I plan to have basking lights on for 15min than have the lumenize 24" uvb ramp up for 30min to 100%, but I'll let the Jungle Dawn led ramp up to 100% a bit less aggressively over a 3 hour period... you can customize to your hearts content. 😀

I still recommend setting up proper distances to the bulb you are using for a 100% output as much as possible. if you can verify with solarmeter best, but can estimate from charts available too. Why? well just incase it accidentally got set to 100% you don't overexpose your animal but also they like bright light so why limit max brightness? Better to switch to a lower % uv bulb if uv too high.

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob

Awsome. I cant wait to get mine. And yes Im aware of the hours of uvb needed so when I get my new fixture I will make sure I set it up to have at least 10 hours of a 12 hour light cycle at 100%. I do believe that should be enough.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
You're gonna like it. Not mandatory, but get the power link cable if you can.. and then you can power one from the other and not have to plug so many things into outlet or power strip.

BTW I have extra link cables if you are anyone needs it. Just message me. I just retrofitted my ThermalZooPro fixture to LumenIZE ,but the link cables did not physically fit so I can't use them and not worth shipping back for a refund. I have both the T5 to T5 and the T5 to LED one.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom