Sunny&Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather85

Hatchling Member
I bought 2 baby beardies and the one chooses to dig a hole in the coldest corner of the tank to sleep... is he okay or is there something wrong? btw the other beardie sleeps under the heat lamp on the drift wood...

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
well first things first are they housed together? if so you need to separate them ASAP beardies fight over dominance and in the long run one of them will either injure the other or kill it and its not worth it. Next what are the tems of the viv do you have a digital stick on theometer? the best themometers are a temp gun or a themometer with a probe at the end

Heather85

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yes they are housed together and they seem to get along they eat well together and sit under the heat lamp together its just at night the one digs a hole to sleep in the corner of the tank

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
they seem to be getting along now but just wait they will soon fight over everything and one will seriously injure the other one and or kill it. if they are basking together when they bask is one on top of the other "stacking" if so that is not them showing love to one another it is a sign of domiance of who gets the best spot for soaking up rays. Please I know I may not be able to change your decision on co habilitation and I understand some people have successfully co habilitated beardies but there is always that chance of it working and would you want to take the chance of something happening to one of them? Please read this thread about co habilitation viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908

Back to the lil guy digging you really need to check the temps and make sure that its not to hot for him he may be getting to hot and he is digging to cool off. The ideal temps for babys on the basking spot it needs to be 105-110*F and the cool side needs to be 75-80*F as they get older you can turn the basking temps down to 100-105*F but for now it needs to be 110*F for the basking area please discuss your setup so we can make sure everything is ok.

Heather85

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
the temps are ideal and the one only stacks on top of the other periodically but I don't want nothing to happen to either one so im just going to separate them... thank you very much for your input

w0554096

Juvie Member
The digging is normal behavior. Do you have them on sand?
Dragons usually burrow for the night when they're in the wild, or they'll find a nice little cave. Him digging in the corner is completely normal, however if you have them on sand, I would highly reccomed changing it out for a non-particle substrate. Slate tile works awesome. Also, if that particular dragon likes to cuddle down for sleep, you could give him (or her I guess) a nice comfy blanket or towel that she can snuggle in. You could also make him a bed.
One of my dragons used to go her his bed at night and wiggle under his blanket with his head on the little pillow. Too cute.

Heather85

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
w0554096":132gqkcl said:
The digging is normal behavior. Do you have them on sand?
Dragons usually burrow for the night when they're in the wild, or they'll find a nice little cave. Him digging in the corner is completely normal, however if you have them on sand, I would highly reccomed changing it out for a non-particle substrate. Slate tile works awesome. Also, if that particular dragon likes to cuddle down for sleep, you could give him (or her I guess) a nice comfy blanket or towel that she can snuggle in. You could also make him a bed.
One of my dragons used to go her his bed at night and wiggle under his blanket with his head on the little pillow. Too cute.
omg that's too cute!! no they are on large wood chips not sand... yea one digs a hole in the corner and just the past 2 nights the other one started burrowing under the one piece of drift wood to sleep

w0554096

Juvie Member
Wood chips a are real hazzard to their health. They run a major impaction risk. I'd highly reccomend changing it out. Even newspaper will work if you don't want to purchase a new substrate.

Heather85

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
w0554096":323kcmpf said:
Wood chips a are real hazzard to their health. They run a major impaction risk. I'd highly reccomend changing it out. Even newspaper will work if you don't want to purchase a new substrate.

yea I realized that after reading a bunch of peoples blogs on here im changing it in the morning thank you though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom