Sick beardie?

Reptilemomof3

Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Hello, I bought a bearded dragon from petco. I know they are infamous for selling sick beardies but I had no choice because they don’t have many reptile expos in my area or pet shops. I think he has a respiratory infection or parasites he makes a gagging face and breaths heavy sleeps all the time and he is a little baby. I’m attached and I don’t want to bring him back. My friend says I’m paranoid. I want to bring him to vet but I’m not sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, I bought a bearded dragon from petco. I know they are infamous for selling sick beardies but I had no choice because they don’t have many reptile expos in my area or pet shops. I think he has a respiratory infection or parasites he makes a gagging face and breaths heavy sleeps all the time and he is a little baby. I’m attached and I don’t want to bring him back. My friend says I’m paranoid. I want to bring him to vet but I’m not sure.
Quite possible please post a pic or record a video of him on youtube so we can see what exactly hes doing -- in the meantime I need to have you go over your surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons they are in accurate - UVB please NO coils ---- these things I am asking are imperative for his health and behavior

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
if petco is still the same as when the baby i rescued was purchased, the price should include a visit to the vet if needed. they pay for it and you get the baby back after treatment. i would definitely be looking into if they still do that.

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
image.jpg
image.jpg
The humidity keeps getting lower and I keep misting but I feel like misting is not helping him

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Quite possible please post a pic or record a video of him on youtube so we can see what exactly hes doing -- in the meantime I need to have you go over your surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons they are in accurate - UVB please NO coils ---- these things I am asking are imperative for his health and behavior
Posted

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Poste
what thermometer should I get??

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
if petco is still the same as when the baby i rescued was purchased, the price should include a visit to the vet if needed. they pay for it and you get the baby back after treatment. i would definitely be looking into if they still do that.
They don’t they said they bring him to the vet if I return him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They don’t they said they bring him to the vet if I return him
He's basking and looks like he's gaping meaning he's adjusting his body temps-- normal - the humidity needs to be taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer - placed on the back center wall of the tank-- 40-50% is optimal- nothing under 20 or over 70%- RI's are often caused by incorrect uvb - coils are terrible and will cause all kinds of illnesses - you want his surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- we need to get your tank up to par - is he eating?

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
He's basking and looks like he's gaping meaning he's adjusting his body temps-- normal - the humidity needs to be taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer - placed on the back center wall of the tank-- 40-50% is optimal- nothing under 20 or over 70%- RI's are often caused by incorrect uvb - coils are terrible and will cause all kinds of illnesses - you want his surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- we need to get your tank up to par - is he eating?
He ate a little bit of greens. He ate like five roaches yesterday he hasn’t really eaten today too much only like two roaches.

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
He ate a little bit of greens. He ate like five roaches yesterday he hasn’t really eaten today too much only like two roaches.
I want to put his lamp inside the enclosure, but I’m scared that he’ll get burned because when I put it inside the enclosure, the reptile mat started melting

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
I want to put his lamp inside the enclosure, but I’m scared that he’ll get burned because when I put it inside the enclosure, the reptile mat started melting
Not to be gross, but he just pooped and I feel like it looks like diarrhea. I’m not sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 43

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not to be gross, but he just pooped and I feel like it looks like diarrhea. I’m not sure.
Nope that's good poop- basking bulb can be put in the tank but you must get a reading w/ the probe put the probe on the spot where he sits then get your reading - for the mat to be melting it's too hot - and your basking decor piece may be getting too hot as it looks like a slate material - we need that temp first before you do adjustments

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom