Sick beardie?

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Nope that's good poop- basking bulb can be put in the tank but you must get a reading w/ the probe put the probe on the spot where he sits then get your reading - for the mat to be melting it's too hot - and your basking decor piece may be getting too hot as it looks like a slate material - we need that temp first before you do adjustments
image.jpg

I put it inside and I put a tile under the rock so the mat won’t melt I ordered the probe but it won’t be here for 2 days.

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Nope that's good poop- basking bulb can be put in the tank but you must get a reading w/ the probe put the probe on the spot where he sits then get your reading - for the mat to be melting it's too hot - and your basking decor piece may be getting too hot as it looks like a slate material - we need that temp first before you do adjustments
Should I get a smaller fixture??

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
What wattage is the basking bulb? And what is the brand and bulb of the uvb? T 5 or a T 8? The bulb makes difference in distance- the uvb will need go inside - screens block approx 30% of uvb rays
T 5 10uvb bulb and 100 watt for basking bulb in a 8.5 flucker lamp

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The uvb is zoo med reptisub
You need a temp on the platform as soon as you can get one- if he starts basking off to the side or lower on the platform it means the top is too hot--- what is the UVB bulb your using it will say T 5 or T 8 on the bottom of the writing on the bulb -- I need it to so I can have you adjust the distance --- he will need a piece of basking decor directly under it-- sorry missed some of the post --- please get the UVB in the tank distance 12-15 inches -- your fixture is fine for a 100 watt -- once you get your probe thermometer we will see where those temps are -- watch his behavior - that piece of tile under the lamp may get too hot as well you dont want him to burn his feet stomach or anything else thats why its imperative you get temps w/ the digital - do you have any gauges in the tank at all for temps

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It might be a good idea to get the basking light & dome just a bit higher. What are the temperatures
directly underneath of the basking light? You could rest it on top of the screen, but, only if the
temperatures would hold up to the proper ranges.
He is a little cutie, is he eating much yet?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Hello,

It might be a good idea to get the basking light & dome just a bit higher. What are the temperatures
directly underneath of the basking light? You could rest it on top of the screen, but, only if the
temperatures would hold up to the proper ranges.
He is a little cutie, is he eating much yet?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Thank you he is such a cutie he ate 5 roaches today and not much else he doesn’t eat his greens. I gave him butternut squash on Tuesday and he ate some and hasn’t really eaten any veggies since. I took the lamp out and put it on top because it was too hot inside. I put the rock on top of the wood to make the basking spot closer to the lamps I think that helps. I must him everyday and try to keep humidity between 30-60 however it’s always going to 25%. The temp’s on the hot side go from 92-95 I’m not sure what the actual backing temp is until I get the hygrometer in mail. Cool side is 80-85 degeees steady 33%- 40% humidity. Maybe he’s just adjusting I have never done this before and he is a little baby so.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those changes for lighting placement sounds good. If they are too hot that will affect them as
well so hopefully you are able to get his basking temperatures just right.
They take some time to eat their greens regularly, so keep working with him & eventually he should
start showing more interest in them.
The humidity is good between 25-30% no problem at all. He does need a basking spot of around 95-105F
& the cool side can actually be a little lower at 78-82F.

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie

Reptilemomof3

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Hello,

Those changes for lighting placement sounds good. If they are too hot that will affect them as
well so hopefully you are able to get his basking temperatures just right.
They take some time to eat their greens regularly, so keep working with him & eventually he should
start showing more interest in them.
The humidity is good between 25-30% no problem at all. He does need a basking spot of around 95-105F
& the cool side can actually be a little lower at 78-82F.

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie
Hello he’s doing much better still not eating his greens but eats plenty of roaches lol. He sleeps good and his cool side is always at like 78-80 because it’s hot in my apt. So working on opening the window a bit near his enclosure. He’s doing good thank God I think he was just adjusting to life with us.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello he’s doing much better still not eating his greens but eats plenty of roaches lol. He sleeps good and his cool side is always at like 78-80 because it’s hot in my apt. So working on opening the window a bit near his enclosure. He’s doing good thank God I think he was just adjusting to life with us.
Get some BSFL and put them on top of his salads - they are a great staple for babies and you can feed as many as you want - the roaches are a good back up to fill him up - use them as lures to the salad bowl- you can hand feed them to him and then use them to get him to the salad bowl
www.symtonbsf.com order large
Amazon.com
this is a good bowl to feed them in

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great he seems to be doing better right now, bless him. It does take them some time to adjust
to a new home or an enclosure.
Has he shown any interest in his greens yet? Keep us posted on him & on his progress.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom