Sleeping with his squishy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Awwwww! How adorable! I love the way his little hand is all tucked in... Beardies really DO develop attachments to certain things! And there is nothing cuter than a Beardie with his stuffed toy friend! Dez has several that he picked out by himself, from a little wood crate where we toss our dogs toys. Sometimes, I think he may be a little TOO attached, if you know what I mean!

for instance:
here he is with "tick" , his first "friend". He would hold the tag in his mouth, for some reason...
82765-7969477302.jpg

need a little privacy, Dez?
82765-9223824176.jpg

He REALLY is liking my pillow...he tussled with it like a dog with a toy! He did this for several minutes, before running down to the end of the sofa and playing with my shoe. He has shown mock aggressive behavior to other peoples shoes, bumping them with his nose. But with my soft, canvas Toms, he is more like rubbing with his face, and placing one hand on it almost possessively.
82765-6023717918.jpg

He has several stuffed toys that I toss on the floor during his walk about times, and he very deliberately chooses which one to snuggle up with when his walking is over, even marching back and forth between two, until one is picked! I swear I am not imagining this! :)

dezismom

Juvie Member
I know, right? Even More to love!! Dez is a BIG boy...he is only a regular , ordinary big box pet shop kinda Guy, (okay, okay, got him at Petsmart...I will dare to say it is so! ;):) but he is every bit as big as the famous Geman Giants! I may have been a bit excessive in my feedings when he was a baby...and he is still shedding about once or even sometimes twice a month....at 18 months old, I think he could still add some length. Wish I had bought a 75-100 gal tank, now...Love the name, Mordecai, by the way! It fits him. He has an adorable face, and he looks so well cared for. They know when they are loved, and they show it.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Mordecai came from a pet store too. He is so sweet. And thank you I think his name fits him too.
86288-1576803332.jpg
86288-2174774306.jpg

So ADORABLE! I recently separated my lizards from one another--overall they seem to approve. Should I be giving them something squishy for company?

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Every time I let him out to run around before bed time when he gets tired he finds his squishy and goes to sleep.
86288-7460103794.jpg

Mordecai":w6u9ubmp said:
Every time I let him out to run around before bed time when he gets tired he finds his squishy and goes to sleep.
86288-7460103794.jpg

:love5: This is the best thing I've seen all night. And it makes me feel better about letting my babies run around the floor (supervised) sometimes.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ya they love to be out. I just wish he would run to cuddle with me when he gets tired. But at least I know where he is when he stops running around :)

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Mordecai found a new squishy. It is on a speaker and he climbed up and laid in the teddy bears lap. I love him so much :)
86288-6186029636.jpg
86288-9737770962.jpg

dezismom

Juvie Member
Looks like Mordecai has found a new friend, alright! Can he get any more cute? His enjoyment is so evident...Aren't Beardies wonderful?? And aren't we the lucky ones, to have them in our lives? I don't know how anyone could not love a Beardie, once they got to know one.

I have had much experience with so many kinds of animals--and none have so consistantly surprised and delighted me, like DeziLu has! I never dreamed a reptile could be so affectionate, expressive, and just plain fun. About a year ago, Dez fell in love with a really big stuffed toy, like Mordecai...

Can you find the Beardie? What great camouflage!
82765-1204343383.jpg

here is a closer picture...I wonder if Dezi knew how much he blended in with the toy? It seemed to me a remarkable case of protective coloring, with Dez blending into his surroundings, as he would have in the wild.
82765-2692475552.jpg

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ya I can't believe how much I enjoy and love him. (A reptile) He is really my son's but I take care of him and he knows who his mommy is.
86288-9531788770.jpg

Dezi is so cute hiding. How old is he?

dezismom

Juvie Member
Dez was 8 months in the photo with his big toy...he is now a year and 7 months, but still loves his stuffed toys. ...

I became an accidental Beardie mom, too! Our nephew was living with us, and he completely fell in love with baby Dez at a store, so we thought he needed a friend of his own...he fed Dez a few times and lost interest! Well, no critter goes uncared for in my home, so I brought him downstairs, (I am handicapped) on my kitchen counter where I could feed him every few hours and watch him full time. I began calling him DeziLu, from the Lucille Ball production company.

I knew nothing of baby lizards,but have raised plenty of baby birds...I figured, "well,they're not all that distant evolutionary-wise, and their protein, fats, vegetation requirements are almost identical to altricial birds, so treat him like a baby bird!!" Ha, ha! Boy, did I over do it! I made him an incubator with exact climate control, put him on a two hour feeding schedule, recorded everything he ate in a feeding journal, read everything I found on Beardies, bought every reccommended supplement, lights, etc...little did I know, young Beardies seem to bond with their care providers, much like baby ducklings imprint. (I now believe it is a permanent imprint) Within a few weeks, he owned me!! ???

I am so in love with this precious one! When our nephew returned to his own home, even he had to admit that Dezi and I could not be parted. We were by then going everywhere together...I have a designer dog carrying bag, which I place a hot water bottle (wrapped in a tea towel) in for heat. Have Lizard, will travel! Dez loves riding in the van. All my usual store clerks know us...My friends all expect me to have that travel bag on my shoulder when I visit them...Dezi has won the hearts of everone he meets.

Having been intensely socialized from such a young age, he is remarkably calm and gentle with strangers. I continue to hand feed every bit of food he eats, my hand to his mouth, which enforces our strong bond. I knew that, as he grew bigger, he had to be especially easy for me to work with, because I am physically very weak from a brittle bone disorder. It was for his good as well as my own that he be completely docile, so I could provide all needed care. When I discovered Beardies recognise things using a specially adapted scent organ on the roof of their mouths, I knew they use scent bonding, so I immediately stopped wearing perfumes of any kind. It was hard to give up the scented lotion! But he is worth it--a perfect pet for someone with my type of disabilities!! (I could no longer hold our little dog, due to fractured bones) My hubby and I truly believe Dezi was a gift to me,from God!

Your Mordecai reminds me alot of younger Dezi--he has that look they get,when they are well cared for, and know they are are loved!!

"I luv my mommy!"
82765-6136402441.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom