Strange Urate

LindsayO

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ash
My male, 15 mo, beardie had a really hard urate tonight with this odd “tail” (worm-like appearance) coming out of it. When I used tongs to test the consistency of the wormy looking tail coming out of the hard urate it was squishy but somewhat firm. It didn’t break apart until I picked it up with the tongs. I do believe he was a little dehydrated because the white part of the urate was firm but I can’t figure out what that little tail coming out of it could mean. Has anyone seen this before? I’m dropping off the sample at the vet tomorrow but I’m super concerned about what it could be. TIA!!

Attachments

• DE599CE4-668A-4CF3-91DB-8A9314AB0A94.jpeg
    DE599CE4-668A-4CF3-91DB-8A9314AB0A94.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 33A36369-3022-44E5-BA27-AD1022CF86A0.jpeg
    33A36369-3022-44E5-BA27-AD1022CF86A0.jpeg
    610.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 2890F578-AAB7-46D2-937F-9B89C92C2978.jpeg
    2890F578-AAB7-46D2-937F-9B89C92C2978.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 61

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is definitely an interesting looking urate! I have seen some like that before, but I'm not exactly
sure what it is really other than just a stringy urate. Since he was a bit dehydrated, that is probably
the culprit of the stringy portion.
It's always possible he might have worms or parasites so getting a fecal done would be a good idea.
Are you keeping him hydrated right now, just to help soften up the urate some.
What type of diet & supplementation schedule do you have for him?

Tracie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I haven't had a male dragon, maybe those are seminal plugs? Males can excrete them if they do not breed. It looks like pictures I've seen but I have no experience personally

LindsayO

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ash
Hello,

That is definitely an interesting looking urate! I have seen some like that before, but I'm not exactly
sure what it is really other than just a stringy urate. Since he was a bit dehydrated, that is probably
the culprit of the stringy portion.
It's always possible he might have worms or parasites so getting a fecal done would be a good idea.
Are you keeping him hydrated right now, just to help soften up the urate some.
What type of diet & supplementation schedule do you have for him?

Tracie
Yes I’ve been giving him pumpkin baby food through a syringe. He won’t drink water out of a bowl or syringe so I’ve been giving him 5-10 min soaks in the tub each day. He normally eats a baby bok choy salad each day (I also chop up the stem for him to eat for hydration), 5-10 superworms/day, 1-2 blueberries/wk (for treats) and I’ll post a picture of his supplementation schedule.

Attachments

• E9AAEF68-BFC8-4EB3-827F-D549DE7A4D27.jpeg
    E9AAEF68-BFC8-4EB3-827F-D549DE7A4D27.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 59

LindsayO

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ash
I haven't had a male dragon, maybe those are seminal plugs? Males can excrete them if they do not breed. It looks like pictures I've seen but I have no experience personally
He’s had a couple of those already and they’re dry and were not secreted with any bm’s or urate. Thanks for responding though!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today, any other strange looking urates?
Your supplementation schedule looks fine to me. Since he is over a year old, you could
probably get by with cutting a day out of the calcium supplementation to just 4 days to see
if that helped to improve the consistency of the urates.

Tracie

LindsayO

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ash
Hello,

How is your boy doing today, any other strange looking urates?
Your supplementation schedule looks fine to me. Since he is over a year old, you could
probably get by with cutting a day out of the calcium supplementation to just 4 days to see
if that helped to improve the consistency of the urates.

Tracie
I’m going to try that! Thank you, Tracie!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom