Size to heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMom22

Juvie Member
What watts should be in a 4x4x2 viv for basking? Actually what sizes and watts should be in there period.

And in a 40gal breeder?

contessa20

Hatchling Member
Honestly, there are WAY too many variables that go into what wattage bulb you need for heat. I've found that outside temps, indoor temps, viv placement, whether or not there's a screen lid on the tank, type of bulb etc. all play a role in which bulb I need to use at any given time. Right now I'm using a 100W regular incandescent house light for heat and my temps are perfect. A week ago though I was using a 75W tight beam to get the right temps. The outside temps here were much different last week though.

My suggestion is to invest in a variety of bulbs and wattages and then do a little experimentation. And if you use regular incandescent bulbs instead of those expensive reptile bulbs they can always be reused in your home if you find that you can't use them in the viv.

Good luck.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
The wattages vary from one enclosure to another. The reason for this is that you have to take into consideration the temps in your home. Also if the viv has a screened top versus a solid top or even what it's constructed of.

Your best bet is to experiment with different wattages and use your thermometer, of course, to see which one works best. For either of those size enclosures, it could be anywhere from a 60w bulb to a 100w bulb.
You can use an ordinary "bright white" household bulb for this. No need to go out and purchase an expensive basking bulb.

Hope this helps :D

EDIT... sorry Crissy... I did not see your post :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom