Husbandry and Enclosure Questions

whatcb

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alastor
Hello everyone. I'm new on the forum, and I'd like to get some feedback and answers, please!

I am using a 48" x 24" x 18" 85gal Terrarium with a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 UVB and Zoo Med 100-watt basking lamp along with a 150-watt heat emitter for the night for Alastor, if you guys have any feedback on my tank specs let me know, please.

I'd like to redo Allie's tank, preferably half tile, half sand. Currently, he is on a reptile carpet, and from what I heard, carpet isn't the best for them. For sand, I did some searching and saw Jurrasic Australian Sand, and I was wondering if that would be good/safe for him. I'm worried about impaction, and I heard part of impaction wasn't just improper substrate, but improper husbandry so I just wanted to check if my setup is safe, and proper for Alastor before I decide to redo anything of his. Also wondering what kind of tile I should get. I was planning on just going to Lowe's or HD or something and buying tile, but I heard improper kinds of tiling can cause joint issues, and I don't want that for my beardie.
Hopefully, you guys can answer my questions, Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone. I'm new on the forum, and I'd like to get some feedback and answers, please!

I am using a 48" x 24" x 18" 85gal Terrarium with a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 UVB and Zoo Med 100-watt basking lamp along with a 150-watt heat emitter for the night for Alastor, if you guys have any feedback on my tank specs let me know, please.

I'd like to redo Allie's tank, preferably half tile, half sand. Currently, he is on a reptile carpet, and from what I heard, carpet isn't the best for them. For sand, I did some searching and saw Jurrasic Australian Sand, and I was wondering if that would be good/safe for him. I'm worried about impaction, and I heard part of impaction wasn't just improper substrate, but improper husbandry so I just wanted to check if my setup is safe, and proper for Alastor before I decide to redo anything of his. Also wondering what kind of tile I should get. I was planning on just going to Lowe's or HD or something and buying tile, but I heard improper kinds of tiling can cause joint issues, and I don't want that for my beardie.
Hopefully, you guys can answer my questions, Thank you!
Yes tile is very hard but putting some more soft in the tank is good as well - play sand is good not sure about the stuff you mentioned- where is the uvb? Inside the tank? For tile you want something w/ texture but not coarse- ceramic - go to the store rub your hand over the tile you don't want smooth so he's sliding coarse will cause abrasions the texture will keep their nails down- I use a black mat from zen habitats and two long pieces of tile - if you get tile it should be cut w/ a tile cutter so you don't get jagged edges- you only need the heat emitter if your tank is falling below 65 at night - ambient temps 65-75

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His UVB is on top of his tank mesh. Thanks for the tile recommendation, I will look into buying some for him!
For a fine mesh the uvb should be unobstructed - inside the tank directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches- screens block approximately 30% of the rays

ReptiSly

Beardie name(s)
Bilbo
the Jurassic Australian Sand is the way to go but just expensive. It's just real sand from the Australian dessert. Looks amazing but i would just use a top soil washed play sand mix to save money. Yet if you have the money grab the Jurassic sand! Heres a closeup of some play sand top soil mix i attached. Looks semi close to the Jurassic sand.

Attachments

• IMG20230625100444.jpg
    IMG20230625100444.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG20230625100455.jpg
    IMG20230625100455.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 71

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the Jurassic Australian Sand is the way to go but just expensive. It's just real sand from the Australian dessert. Looks amazing but i would just use a top soil washed play sand mix to save money. Yet if you have the money grab the Jurassic sand! Heres a closeup of some play sand top soil mix i attached. Looks semi close to the Jurassic sand.
That would probably be good for a adult dragon not so much babies

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Weird thought impaction problems were based off bad husbandry. So their native sand that they live on in the wild is bad? Just trying to figure out the reasoning! Thanks
If they arent getting adequate supplements they can eat the substrate - babies are messy eaters and can eat the rocks / sand etc so this might be good for adult dragons - I wouldnt recommend for babies tho

ReptiSly

Beardie name(s)
Bilbo
If they arent getting adequate supplements they can eat the substrate - babies are messy eaters and can eat the rocks / sand etc so this might be good for adult dragons - I wouldnt recommend for babies tho
Thanks for the reply. I can see the brain cell not working and maybe something happening. Though that substrate is used in many bio vivs for beardies nowadays with no issues as is play sand top soil. It is always best to be cautious but impaction is from off husbandry most of the time based on all the newer studies done. We need to remember in the wild they are picking greens off the ground that has dirt etc on them. They are hunting in the sand for bugs. They do just alright.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom