Wired Heat Rock Question

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So, Miss Migraine Headache On Caffeine has a question about something...I've been seeing. But, don't remember if people use them for basking spots.

So, here is what I was thinking.
There are always those plug in heat rocks being advertised all over Facebook Marketplace and in my local petstores.
What if you were to cut the wire to those heat rocks and use them as a basking rock?
Would they get too hot with a 100 watt basking spot lamp pointed directly on it?
I know if plugged in and being used would cause a burn to their bellies. But would it pose a burn risk if used like a normal basking rock?

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I have a glass bottom breeder tank and I'm trying to research some things first before I upgrade his living conditions. He had a hammock for most of his life and and an old gravel slab that he used to use as a basking spot. BUT: He pooped on both of these items and it didn't come off even with washing.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
Why not just use a real rock? They are practically free.. just go outside and get one.. or visit any landscaping supplier and lots of times you'll see smaller pieces of flagstone that have broken off of larger pieces..often times they just let you take it "as a sample" 😉

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have plenty of rocks outside but I don't trust them. I'll check around landscaping companies and see if they have any samples of flagstone. I think I can go to Home Depot and see if I can find some broken concrete or some thing that won't break the tank bottom. It's all glass.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Just put them in the oven for an hour or so @ 200° that'll kill anything on/in them

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
I have plenty of rocks outside but I don't trust them. I'll check around landscaping companies and see if they have any samples of flagstone. I think I can go to Home Depot and see if I can find some broken concrete or some thing that won't break the tank bottom. It's all glass.
Honestly there's nothing to worry about. Just wash them off well before using with some soap and water. I've put 150lbs of rock in glass aquarium with fish for client.. no problem.. it helps to put down "egg crate" this is a plastic used for lights. Home depot has it and you can cut it too fit. Another idea that I like better for our application is to get some hydro balls on the bottom then loose substrate of choice and rocks on that. Unless you drop the rocks in there from high you'll be fine.

Check out my post here.. maybe give you some ideas. This is something I threw together today for my little guy. Lots of rocks and branches.. all glass terrarium. Probably 50lbs of stuff in there.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
The rocks I use are all collected outside and just cleaned really well with a disinfectant. They are not like wood where stuff can get inside. They heat up well and store the heat a little while but you would check your basking spot after setting it up anyway. For stone, you might want to additionally use an IR gun, because rock might heat up different from the PT100 probe on your usual thermometer.

Carefull with rocks in the oven though. If by any chance you picked one with water trapped inside it, it could burst as the water vaporizes and expands.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Unless you build a campfire and are setting on it lol.
When I was a kid I was in the boy scouts, I warned the scout master and others, they poked fun at me because I wouldn't get near the fire, I was the one laughing when it went (true story to)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom