Salad portion size?

lputnam

Hello!
My girl was recently tested for parasites and came back clean, but has continued to have diarrhea more often than not. She still has quite the appetite, basks, and seems content. My temps are where they should be (75ish cool side, 82-85ish hot side, around 101 basking) and my vet said it’s probably her diet. I’ve tried collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, chicory, endive, a little cilantro, and butternut squash but it doesn’t seem to matter what it is, she gets diarrhea. I tried cutting down portion sizes (she LOVES her salad and will go ham on them) I got a new food dish that’s smaller to help with this, it’s about the size of the palm of my hand. Attached is a photo of the dish. Is this an appropriate size salad for a year old beardie? I’d love for the diarrhea to stop 😭 thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello!
My girl was recently tested for parasites and came back clean, but has continued to have diarrhea more often than not. She still has quite the appetite, basks, and seems content. My temps are where they should be (75ish cool side, 82-85ish hot side, around 101 basking) and my vet said it’s probably her diet. I’ve tried collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, chicory, endive, a little cilantro, and butternut squash but it doesn’t seem to matter what it is, she gets diarrhea. I tried cutting down portion sizes (she LOVES her salad and will go ham on them) I got a new food dish that’s smaller to help with this, it’s about the size of the palm of my hand. Attached is a photo of the dish. Is this an appropriate size salad for a year old beardie? I’d love for the diarrhea to stop 😭 thank you!!
Cut out the butternut squash and feed some raw shredded sweet potato and see if that firms the poop up

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Also I don't think you could feed too much greens. I'd just feed her as much as she likes to eat.
How are you supplementing?
Do you feed organic or conventional food?

lputnam

Original Poster
Also I don't think you could feed too much greens. I'd just feed her as much as she likes to eat.
How are you supplementing?
Do you feed organic or conventional food?
If I can find organic I feed that, but it’s already limited what I can find for beardie greens in Maine in the winter. I always wash everything thoroughly. She gets calcium with and without vitamin d3 rotated, and then a multivitamin once a week

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
You can also try romain lettuce, arugula/rocket or kale.
Karrie is right, try the sweet potato and get a picture next time. Maybe it's not even diarrhea but only strong hydration.

Btw. squash is a fruit and fruits should only be fed occasionally ;)

Ldelprince

Beardie name(s)
Gaia
Thank you!! I’ll have to give it a try

Any luck with your beardie? Did you try sweet potato? Mine is 10 months old and has had loose stools for over 2 months….. same thing - took her to the vet twice and both fecals were negative. She LOVES HER GREEN. I have tried to cut back, but now that she’s getting to be an adult soon I really don’t want to be restricting her greens. But the diarrhea is obviously frustrating to clean up, and I also just feel bad for her!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Any luck with your beardie? Did you try sweet potato? Mine is 10 months old and has had loose stools for over 2 months….. same thing - took her to the vet twice and both fecals were negative. She LOVES HER GREEN. I have tried to cut back, but now that she’s getting to be an adult soon I really don’t want to be restricting her greens. But the diarrhea is obviously frustrating to clean up, and I also just feel bad for her!
Cut out the squash and feed some raw shredded sweet potato and see if that firms the poop up

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom