Silkback Bearded Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddma

Juvie Member
does anyone know anything about silkback bearded dragons? are they available anywhere, and what kind of care do they need. specifics on lighting, feeding enclosure, and how much do they cost? etc., thanks

ddma

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yes, there is such a thing as silkbacks and no ,i didn't mean leatherbacks.i know what a leatherback is,it's a dragon with reduced scales, also known as smoothies, american smoothies and italian leatherbacks.
a silkback has very smooth skin, like a snake, i know kinda weird, but cool none the less. since i wrote my post i actually found someone in the uk who has them. very expensive tho, 1,000 - 1200 . dollars. they're care is typically the same with some very minor differences, but a normal beardie and a silkback can live together even with the minor differences. look on this website and you will see a pic of a silkback
http://www.dachiu.com

DistDrag

Juvie Member
Just thought I'd add that silkbacks are the product of mating two leatherback x leatherback or smoothie x leatherback, smoothie x smoothie.... It's not a guarantee you will get them but that is when the typically occur.

Kevin

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't put 2 beardies together unless you wished to breed them. Especially because most bearded dragons fight and the lack of scales may cause a bite to be more deadly.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Most of the time beardies DO NOT live well (or nicely with others) Beardies are very territorial and don't share space well. More times than not,beardies will dominate and fight. There have been many stories of limb and tail nips,maiming(not only nips but arms,legs,and tails being ripped off) or worse,death. If you get 2 beardies,please keep them seperate.

ddma

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thanks for the wwebsite on the genetics , saved it to my favorites

spyder79

Extreme Poster
pretty much any breeder that breeds prodominantly leathers (especially from the italian leather line) will end up with at least a 25% Silk birth from a clutch. Though the care may be similar between silks and other morphs it is still different. With silks they need a slightly higher level of humidity to help their skine peal (as they do not shed in the typical manner). They also require a slightly lowered basking temp of 95-100 due to a heightened risk of burning their skin. And they need slightly more distance from a UV bulb than the typical dragon does. Using a ReptiSun 10.0 you would need to allow 8 inches at a minimum from the bulb which is different from the typical 6 inches suggested for other morphs. This is due to their skin absorbing more of the UV rays. I know it sounds off but they can get over exposed. Yes they are a strange looking animal and beautiful in their own right (though i cant bring myself to think of one the same way i do a normal dragon or even a leather). They are expensive only because they are not yet a "everyday" morph. Give it another year or two and there will be many breeders producing them. The next fad is the melanistic or black dragons.

I don't mean to offend, but after looking at some pictures I have to say silkbacks are the ugliest dragon I have ever seen. They look like a snake with legs. I really don't understand why humans can't leave animals the way they were naturally meant to be. I actually feel :puke:

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
it is a genetic trait that causes this.....how is that not nature? Would it not be possible for two wild dragons with the right genetics to do this?

rEdhEadgiRly":f3da6 said:
I don't mean to offend, but after looking at some pictures I have to say silkbacks are the ugliest dragon I have ever seen. They look like a snake with legs. I really don't understand why humans can't leave animals the way they were naturally meant to be. I actually feel :puke:

sluedu09

Hatchling Member
I actually have to say that I prefer beardies with scales too. The silkbacks are very different, but it looks like someone skinned it. :silent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom