reptisun/reptiglo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittanyS

Hatchling Member
Before, I was using the reptiglo florescent tube. Then I got a reptisun 10.0 florescent. I was wondering if using a reptiglo would make them grow slower?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
BrittanyS":6ecc5 said:
Before, I was using the reptiglo florescent tube. Then I got a reptisun 10.0 florescent. I was wondering if using a reptiglo would make them grow slower?

It's VERY likely. The UVB emissions for most of the ReptiGlo tubes are not at the appropriate level for a beardie (the 8.0 is just passable, I believe, but the others, no go). In addition, the low UVB emissions actually create a possible further health risk, eye damage. The ReptiSun 10.0 will serve you well. :mrgreen:

We were initially using a Zilla Compact which carries similar risks. Our beardie is small. We initially upgraded to a ReptiSun 5.0 (small enclosure) and the change in beardie, was wonderful, appetite up, sleeping less, etc., and she was growing, but slowly. We've recently moved her to her big enclosure, and are able to use an MVB, and the change is even MORE dramatic (things are finally looking way up!), but it's hard telling what the long term effects of using that bad bulb will be... she got off to such a tough/slow start. We're happy she's growing again, but my feeling is, she will be a little beardie. She's 5 months, and 6+ inches.

I hope this helps.

The best,
Em

chewybd

Reptiglo uvb rays are of course better than no uv at all. So they would have grown if you positioned it properly.
I have been using reptiglo 10.0 18" for a month (my reptisun 10 blew up the 4th day for some reason and could not find another in my area of australia) for my baby bearded at a good 10" away, right under my 40w light bulb. My baby is thriving, eating like a pig, running around, pooping daily during bath time, no eye problems (my baby hardly ever looks up) and growing! Nearly an inch in the last week alone :blob8:

Lots of people on this forum will say reptiglo fluros are bad, i believe it may well be if you don't position it well.
As long as you keep it 10" away, under the bright light, and have nothing interesting so it may look up then it will be sufficient.

Reptisuns have more room for error so is better if you can get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom