How to mount T5 10.0 UVB inside tank?

zonkey

Original Poster
I have a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Reptile Terrarium Lamp, 24-watt inside the ReptiSun 24in hood cover. Currently, it's sitting on top of my mesh lid. But I want to make sure my dragon is getting proper UVB- so was wondering if I should place the UVB inside the tank, and if so, how?? And would it be possible with the hood cover on? Or even, I saw one person mentioning they just cut a portion of their mesh lid off so that the UVB could shine through better... is that recommended? Or what would you guys say? Thanks for your patience with me in all my many questions as a new beardie owner, lol.

zonkey

Original Poster
IMG_4715.jpeg

This is the mesh on the top also

zonkey

Original Poster
Your screen is a wide hole type leave it on top w/ basking decor directly under it approx 8-10 inches
Okay, thank you!
Could you also give me some adivce on the basking bulb? I had initially tried the ZooMed 100w bulb, it got the basking spot to about 92f, but no higher. I switched it out for a Fluker's 150w bulb, but so far the Fluker's 150w bulb has only reached like 85f! Not sure what is going on.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay, thank you!
Could you also give me some adivce on the basking bulb? I had initially tried the ZooMed 100w bulb, it got the basking spot to about 92f, but no higher. I switched it out for a Fluker's 150w bulb, but so far the Fluker's 150w bulb has only reached like 85f! Not sure what is going on.
How are you getting surface basking temp? It needs to be w/ a digital probe thermometer

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I put the probe right on top of the basking platform, and the temp rose drastically, around 109 or so! didnt know just a few inches away made such a difference haha. thank you!
Ok has he been basking on that spot? How old is he? Once they hit 6 months the 109 may be too hot - they generally like 95-100 for basking at 6 months and up

zonkey

Original Poster
Ok has he been basking on that spot? How old is he? Once they hit 6 months the 109 may be too hot - they generally like 95-100 for basking at 6 months and up
Yep she's been hanging out on it pretty much all day, she got down for maybe 15-20 minutes to eat and roam a bit, but she's back on it. The vet said she's maybe 3-4 years old? I was having trouble figuring out the basking spot temps online as I kept finding conflicting information on how hot it should be 😵

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep she's been hanging out on it pretty much all day, she got down for maybe 15-20 minutes to eat and roam a bit, but she's back on it. The vet said she's maybe 3-4 years old? I was having trouble figuring out the basking spot temps online as I kept finding conflicting information on how hot it should be 😵
ok well watch her behavior -- she may start sitting off to the side of the spot or lower -- or she may cut time as well -- if so try lowering the temp either by lowering the basking area or the wattage of the bulb- are you using a 100 watt or a 150 ?

zonkey

Original Poster
ok well watch her behavior -- she may start sitting off to the side of the spot or lower -- or she may cut time as well -- if so try lowering the temp either by lowering the basking area or the wattage of the bulb- are you using a 100 watt or a 150 ?
Okay! I'll watch her and see what she does. I'm currently using the 150w

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom