Pookie's Minions - Pookie's Gone ☹

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, they sure have all been affectionate lately. :love5: Adorable the way MoMo just had to cuddle with her big sister and wouldn't have it any other way. So touching that Gianna just had to be with her daddy.

Want an adorable alien. :love10:

Happy Halloween to you too. Did you have any trick-or-treaters?

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
MoMo spent the entire day half out of her cave, with Digi leaning against her from the side of the cave. Shortly before lights out, Digi went into HER (which MoMo kept claiming) cave and went to sleep. Knowing that I wouldn't let her squeeze in with Digi, MoMo ended up hugging the side of Digi's cave instead. What a strange girl.

2015_11-02.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
diamc":38fnl374 said:
Guess she thought the cave needed some snuggling too. :love5:
I guess she figured that since Digi was touching the cave, it was good enough to hug the cave wall as a substitute.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Did you check out Calendar B, Gina? MoMo is so funny, thinking that hugging the hide means she's close to Digi. So funny. Give her a snuggle for me :mrgreen:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
My Babycakes is gone! She will never wake up from sleep ever again.

emoticoncry.gif

I honestly have no idea what was wrong, as I'd neglected everyone for the past 2 months and only focused on Pookie.

Digi had started the week with morning black beards, but she'd go back to her happy self as soon as I took her out and placed her in front of the window. By Wednesday, her black beard would only go away if I held her and rubbed her head/back. By Friday, she was taking labored breaths, and I still thought that perhaps she was dehydrated (which I had been soaking her and giving her oral fluids, including Pookie's baby food/Carnivore Care concoction). However, she seemed to really have trouble taking breaths and would keep her mouth open. I tried to give her some water, which she took a few drops of, but it didn't seem to help. Not knowing what else to do to make her feel better, I decided to let Pookie sit with her for comfort. They ended up sitting together for nearly the entire day (until I put Pookie back home to warm up shortly before lights out, after 8:30pm), and Pookie kept pressing his head into Digi's back, trying to get as close as possible.

I sat with Digi all night, holding her close, and finally took her to bed with me some time after 2:30am. All night long, I kept feeling her taking deep breaths, but she was still alive. It wasn't until early this morning, when I moved her from my chest to the pillow next to me, that I "felt" something wrong. When I picked her up, she was limp and didn't wake up from the movement. I chose to ignore the reality and prayed that perhaps she was just really tired. When I finally decided to get out of bed, I looked at her and her mouth was opened a slit and her beard was black. I kept watching her sides to see if she was still taking small breaths, but nothing moved. No matter what I did, she didn't move. She just wouldn't wake up. SHE JUST WOULDN'T WAKE UP!!!!

Who will be Pookie's one and only? Who will he love? Could his broken heart ever be healed?
(I had put Pookie next to Digi this morning and told him that his love will never wake from her sleep because she was sick but I didn't know it, that it was all my fault that the love of his life is gone. He didn't truly understand what was happening at first, because she looked like she was only sleeping, just like yesterday, but when she didn't respond to his beard poof, he knew something was wrong. He just sat there and looked at her. I begged him to give her a kiss, but he didn't; he never moved, not even one little bit. I think I scared him by crying so much.)

Who will MoMo snuggle up to for comfort when she's not feeling well or scared? Who will she steal caves with for night night? Who will she turn to for advice? Who will be her BFF?
(I had plucked her out of her cave this morning to sit next to Digi, and told her what had happened. MoMo wasn't sure of what had happened at first, but then she looked at Digi over and over again and quickly realized that Digi was never going to wake up again and I could've sworn that I saw her eyes tear up.)

Who will teach Gianna how to act like a lady and to get along with everyone? Who will give her motherly love? Will she ever know just what a wonderful girl her mother was?
(I finally pulled Gianna out of her cave and told her that her Mama was gone, that she went to sleep but will never wake up again. I put her on the couch in front of Digi and told her that her Mama looked like she was sleeping, but she's not. I apologized for not knowing that Digi was sick, that I didn't properly care for her Mama. I asked Gianna to give her Mama a kiss, and she did, right on the top of her nose.)

Oh god, why didn't I take her to see the doctor sooner?! Why didn't I know that she was sick?! Why!!!

128546691339.gif

Digi, you will forever be my Babycakes. No one could ever be as sweet, nice, considerate, lovable, and caring as you. I love you so much, more than you'll ever know, and that will never change no matter how much time had passed. Please forgive me for not being as good of a mom to you as I should.

2015_09-24.jpg

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Gina, you are the very best mom any dragon could ask for. The only sense I can make out of all of this is that Digi couldn't stand to have Pookie leave her behind, so she went ahead to greet him when he goes to the Rainbow Bridge. I am praying for the Lord to carry you through this devastation.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Esther19":z88aaltp said:
Digi couldn't stand to have Pookie leave her behind, so she went ahead to greet him when he goes to the Rainbow Bridge.
I had been worrying over how Digi would react if and when Pookie passed away, if his death would send her into a deep depression and she'd eventually give up because of it. But never in my wildest dreams did I expect THIS to happen.

She was fine last week, running about in her house and not showing any signs of discomfort.
What went wrong?! What did I miss?!?!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Please forgive me for presuming, but I don't think you missed anything or did anything wrong.
I think it went just the way Digi wanted it to; the way it was supposed to be.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh Gina, I am SO sorry, just heard about this. Esther is right, you didn't miss anything OR do anything wrong. Sure seems like it happened the way Digi wanted it to be. Perhaps this was the reason for MoMo acting the way she had toward Digi and why Pookie was completely content laying alongside her. You had always said how they talked/communicated with one another and it sure seems like she was filling them in & they were saying their goodbyes. You had mentioned that they all just wanted to be together instead of doing anything else. You loved her with all your heart and she knew it. She also knew that you were comforting her while she was laying on your chest when she passed over, she was with you and that is where she wanted to be.

So sorry that it happened so quickly, such a shock for you and no time to react. I don't know if this will comfort you or not but the way you described the breathing with the mouth open, had occured with all of the beardies of ours that passed, usually started the day before and then got more & more labored with the open mouth. So, there's nothing you could have done, she had already accepted the fact that it was her time and she was going to go to Rainbow Bridge first.

R.I.P. Dear Sweet Digi and please say hello to your sister Misty and give her a kiss for me.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh Gina, you did nothing wrong, sweet lady. They hide whatever is bothering them so long it's too late by the time we realize. You had her with you when she passed which was a blessing and she spend alot of time with Pookie, MoMo and Giana before she passed. You have all those wonderful photos, too, to remember your sweet Digi with. I agree with Esther and Diane, there was just nothing you could do. I've gone through it a few times now and the same thing happened each time for each one that I lost, no matter what I or the vet did, it was just their time.

We will all miss you Digi, but your mama will miss you most. We all loved you, Pookie's sweetheart. RIP sweet Digi, you'll be surrounded by our lost ones over the Rainbow Bridge and will look down on your mama with love that she took such good care of you :love5:

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Oh dear GIna I am so so sorry:( I have to agree with everyone else, you did nothing wrong, she just wanted to go first to greet Pookie because she couldn't bear being without him!

Gentle hugs to you:(

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
As Deb said, Gina, you can't really know when they are sick until it's too late. When Goldie lost her appetite about 14 months before she died, we took her too a good reptile vet in Tucson (In June the year before she died) and He couldn't find any reason for her lack of appetite. We were never able to take her back and she died at the end of July 3 years ago.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
The following are from my Facebook posts:

2:12pm:
I can't do it. I just can't do it!
For the past 6+ hours, I'd been stressing (to the point of an anxiety attack) over calling the vet, to tell them that Digi had passed away and that I need to have her body cremated. If I hand her over to them, then she'll truly be gone. If I hand her over to them, then I'll never get to see her beautiful face again. I'll never get to give her kisses and tell her how much I love her. I'll never get to hold her close to me again.
(Pookie just ate a white wormie! He never eats the freshly shed super worms! He hates soft worms! White wormies were Digi's favorite.)

6:56pm:
My nightmare just became a reality. There's no denying the truth anymore. Her absence will always be the reminder.
While I was in an exam room crying my eyes out and feeling more guilty than ever, Dr. Curro came in and offered his condolences. He even asked about Pookie. This is why I love having him as our vet.
When the vet tech came back in a little while later and asked if I was ready, I wanted so badly to say, "No, I will never be ready", then walk right out with my Babycakes in my arms. But my brain took over my heart and forced myself to let her go, no matter how much it hurts.
**MoMo refused to say goodbye to her BFF, no matter how much I begged. She remained inside her cave with only her head poking out, and would only look at me hysterically crying in front of her house, but not at Digi. Even when I walked by just before leaving for the vet hospital, she purposely closed her eyes. Could this be her way of dealing with the pain of losing her best friend?
Pookie sat next to his beloved for about a half hour, quietly staring at her motionless body.

When I got home, MoMo was wide awake, and her eyes followed me walking around the living room. Pookie was sitting on his couch, not showing any emotions. Gianna never woke up today, and I didn't bother waking her up as she had already said her goodbyes yesterday. Squirt has no clue any of this went on. He'd been sound asleep under his blanket since Friday.

11:24pm:
Before calling the vet hospital to ask when I can bring Digi, I decided to make a cast of her beard, hands, and feet. Seeing that I had wanted to do the same for Pookie, I decided to put both of their impressions on one cast, so they'd forever be together, even if it's only in memory.
(I will be adding some paint so more of the impressions would stand out.)

http://bit.ly/1X3GtJz
(inserting the direct link to Photobucket so you could see the impressions better)

Pookie and Digi's last night together (11/14) :(
2015_11-14.jpg

2015_11-14a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom