Night time heating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
What is the best way to heat for might time? I know red lights are a no no....I hear a lot about Che but know nothing about them... What all do I need to buy if I go that route? What about an under tank heater on the back of the tank?

vampy

Juvie Member
A CHE is definitely your best bet. You'll need the che bulb itself, a socket to mount it in (they fit into standard bulb holders, but you'll need a ceramic one to be sure it's safe...there's a risk of melting with a plastic one), and depending on how extreme the temperature fluctuations are in the room your viv is in, you may need a thermostat. In most normal houses the temperature is reasonably constant, so a low power CHE should be ok and not overheat even without a thermostat. If you have a thermometer that records the max/min temps then you can check easily that it's not got too hot or cold overnight.

Heat mats aren't a great idea, even under the tank, as beardies can't sense heat from below properly and may end up overheating. Some people mount heat mats to the sides of the tank near the top so the dragon can't accidentally touch them, but that's a pretty inefficient way to heat, a CHE is a lot better and safer.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
If your tank doesn't get colder than 65*F or so, you don't need any extra heat - the cool down is natural and healthy for your dragon. If it does get colder than that, I second that the CHE is the best way to go. As mentioned above you will need the CHE itself and a light fixture with a ceramic socket. Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom