Help! My household heating system is broken! Ceramic?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi everyone

The heating system is my house isn't working well, but thankfully the house hasn't been too cold at night. Currently at 66 F.

I want to get a ceramic heater for Drogon in case the house gets too cold. Can someone recommend a heater for my 120 gal tank? Preferably on Amazon so I can prime order.

Thank you as always!
Selkie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone

The heating system is my house isn't working well, but thankfully the house hasn't been too cold at night. Currently at 66 F.

I want to get a ceramic heater for Drogon in case the house gets too cold. Can someone recommend a heater for my 120 gal tank? Preferably on Amazon so I can prime order.

Thank you as always!
Selkie
Get a deep dome w/ reflector and ceramic socket and a bulb wattage of 100 -- place on top of your screen center of your tank and it should keep your tank around 70 at night - your tank is going to drop to around the temp of the house so 66 is good --- if it gets colder than that more towards 60 or so then I would use the CHE -- Amazon.com
I am using this one for my two tanks-- w/ a 100 watt bulb on my 120 gallon tanks

I had this issue a few weeks ago (everyone’s furnace breaking this year?). With ceramic heaters I only go for a slightly lower wattage than my daytime bulb to aid in his digestion, but my beardie has been sick off and on so I tend to go overboard. Ceramic bulbs aren’t as finicky as UVA bulbs (they don’t blow as easily) and last a lot longer. So, brand isn’t super important, in my experience. I use a 100W in my 100 gallon tank. I stick to brands I can get at petsmart, but those tend to be more expensive. So if this is a short term solution, a generic brand will probably also work.
In addition, I added a second heating mat for the cold side of his tank. It’s self regulating so it won’t get above 80 degrees on the cold side, but it’s $30. I put a space heater in his room to keep the room temp up. I also keep a towel in his cage under the heat lamp when he takes a bath and when his lights are about to shut off. This gives me a warm towel to dry him with after a bath, or a warm towel to wrap him in when it’s time for bed.
In a pinch, glove warmers can be very effective for keeping them warm. I use them if our power goes out or I need to transport my beardie somewhere. Make sure there’s a towel between your beardie and the glove warmers, but they don’t tend to get concerningly hot.
I also closely watched his bowel movements and appetite on top of watching the temperature itself because those can be indicative that his temperature is not adequate.
The ceramic bulb I use: Amazon.com

Heating mat: https://www.amazon.com/Aiicioo-Unde...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfbXRm&psc=1

Hand/glove warmers: https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-10-...699209064&sprefix=gloce+warmer,aps,102&sr=8-3

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you everyone! We found out the issue to the heat so I appreciate your help! I'll definitely consider adding these items to my emergency list but all is good! Check out his Halloween face mask 🤣

Attachments

• PXL_20231031_161348344.jpg
    PXL_20231031_161348344.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 46

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great Halloween face mask there!
So you got your heater working then? Definitely add a ceramic heat emitter to the list of things to
have for the winter. You never know when you may need to use it.
He looks very happy & relaxed there also!

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Update

We are actually still having problems with the heat at night. How does the ceramic heat emitter work and do I need a dome with it?

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Update

We are actually still having problems with the heat at night. How does the ceramic heat emitter work and do I need a dome with it?
It works the same as a heating lamp, but does not emit light, it needs a dome if you want to focus the heat into a narrow ray. A dome is also needed to prevent the dragon from getting burned (if it is placed inside the terrarium)

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Is 66-67 ok for the enclosure at night? I keep seeing mixed info on a good night temp

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Is 66-67 ok for the enclosure at night? I keep seeing mixed info on a good night temp
My temperature never drops below 70, but I read that the minimum night temperature required for dragons is 66-67 degrees
There are dragon keepers here with much more experience than mine, I suggest checking this with @AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
For a healthy dragon 67 F is fine for a night temp. It might cause him to get a little extra sleepy if he's inclined to brumate.

Spider8ait1994

Hatchling Member
I am in Australia so I’m not sure if this brand would be available but if you’re searching Amazon it may be available there but I use the brands URS and Exo Terra for my two dragons and haven’t had any issues with those brands. The bulbs are screw in so I do use a dome lamp cover to hold those.
Usually I leave them on 24/7 but if it’s a really hot day I may switch them off during the daytime then back on for overnight.
My two dragons have one of these set up year round but I do have two different wattages so I can use a lower wattage one in the summer months since the ambient temps are warmer and not as much extra heating is needed then swap it out for a higher wattage one over winter.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Australia has the Exoterra brand & Arcadia brand primarily from what I have seen.
How is your dragon doing today?

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
He's doing great! I left our fake fireplace on which has a heater and it kept the house warm :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you use the che make sure the dome is rated for it and has a ceramic socket. The che's can be hard on the cheaper made domes.
I personally try to keep my guys at 73ish at night but that's mostly because i hand feed in the mornings and it's easier to warm them up from 73 than 68 🙂

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
We are keeping our electric fireplace on at a safe temperature and it's keeping everything cozy! Thank you for the help everyone:D

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom