Mercury Vapour Bulbs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
What do you guys think about these bulbs. ? Do you need to keep the uvb T5 d3 strip-light ? Also would you need to get a different ceramic bulb holder. And finally will it need a dome and dimming thermostat ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T5 is that a Reptisun? Are you talking about a CHE? Yes it will need a different dome--- I have a 100 watt that only runs during the winter--- off during the summer--- you will need a basking bulb--- one that will keep your temps 90-105-- some where in that range--- some use house hold bulbs -- I cant use them they dont keep my tank at the desired temps--- I use a Exo Terra 100 watt basking bulb --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can't dim MVBs.
You definitely want a dome to help direct the heat and uvb output. They really are only suitable in larger tanks.

Personally I prefer a tube uvb and a basking bulb.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MVBs are an excellent solution in that they can provide all the UV (A & B) a resptile requires + heat + a very nice level of visible lighting.

Best situations for using MVBs are
>> portable basking stations for an reptile who is allowed some freeranging time (on the floor) , under a lamp stand or using a springclamp to hold the domestyle light reflector fitting to a handy piece of furnature (chair's armrest , chair's seat (if just a plain timber dining chair) , coffee table , or even a doorknob.
>> very small rearing tanks/tubs (say 80 - 150L capacity), if you have more than one (a single MVB can provide light+heat+UV to at to 4 tubs at once if placed in the middle of the array of 4 tub over the central corner of all 4 tubs. ( I know breeders who do this when they have multiple clutches of hatchlings to rear .)
>> to provide a perfect basking spot in a larger tank , using a T8 10-12% UVB or T5ho 10-14%UVB tube in a reflector hood to provide the UV gradient needed for the rest of the tank.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So what size vivarium is suitable ? I know you go in gallons but our vivarium is in inches so I have In English 4ft long 2ft high 1.5 feet wide. And have the t5 14% tube and reflector.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DiXX":2mv4urw3 said:
So what size vivarium is suitable ? I know you go in gallons but our vivarium is in inches so I have In English 4ft long 2ft high 1.5 feet wide. And have the t5 14% tube and reflector.

Yeh the yanks use a quaint measurement of volume called US Gallons which tells you nothing about L , H and W of the tank. They also seem obsessed with glass tanks with mesh lids.

This will help you decide :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
and performance of Arcadia T5 tubes
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=249112

The aims are about 180 to 200 microW UVB / sq.cm and 1 milliW UVA / sq.cm at the basking spot .
80 to 100 microW UVB / sq.cm and 500 microW UVA / sq.cm in the warm zone.

Your tank is 2 ft tall (60cm), so call the distance to the floor of the tank 45cm (this will take into account the height of a MVB in a low profile ceramic e27 fitting).

Is the tank a screen top or solid timber top ?

If it's a screen top, you can use place the MVB ontop if it's a metal mesh. Be aware the very fine mesh used often is going to block (shadow) about 45% of the UV from an MVB (or other UV source), but mounting on top or above the mesh will allow more climbing options for the dragon .

The 14%UVB T5ho tube will give perfect levels of UVB at 45cm from the tube when in a reflector hood, a naked tube will give perfect levels of UVB at 23cm , if unobstructed .
If you choose to mount ontop the mesh lid you need the basking spot to be 45% closer.

So a T5ho 14%UVB will work , and an Arcadia 80W MVB will be OK and give an really good basking spot , though the MVB is not necessary and can replaced with domestic Philips par38 incandescent flood globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom