Help with lighting

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
I can no longer get the bulbs I was getting for Thor which were inexpensive and effective, and safe.

So I now have a 150w zoomed basking bulb and 100w Arcadia something or other (too tired to go look at the box.) It's not a basking bulb though.

Add those to the Arcadia UVB I've had for the last year or so, after I upgraded from the coil when I joined these forums.

I'm in need of help positioning these new bulbs.

In the front is the basking bulb. Where it sits, it is at 102°, after about 20 minutes of being on. The regular heat bulb is in the back.

Do you think the uvb is too close? At his basking spot it's about 8" from the closest part of his body, and 12-14" from the farthest part when he's sitting in his basking spot. But, he's also usually facing the uvb, which means I'm now concerned about his eyes and if the way the bulbs are set up is going to be harmful.

What would you do, where would you put the bulbs, or would you adjust the decor? Where would you put it?

Also, ignore the positioning of the lights in the bottom pic. The top pic is the actual position of the lights.
1000000860.jpg
1000000857.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I can no longer get the bulbs I was getting for Thor which were inexpensive and effective, and safe.

So I now have a 150w zoomed basking bulb and 100w Arcadia something or other (too tired to go look at the box.) It's not a basking bulb though.

Add those to the Arcadia UVB I've had for the last year or so, after I upgraded from the coil when I joined these forums.

I'm in need of help positioning these new bulbs.

In the front is the basking bulb. Where it sits, it is at 102°, after about 20 minutes of being on. The regular heat bulb is in the back.

Do you think the uvb is too close? At his basking spot it's about 8" from the closest part of his body, and 12-14" from the farthest part when he's sitting in his basking spot. But, he's also usually facing the uvb, which means I'm now concerned about his eyes and if the way the bulbs are set up is going to be harmful.

What would you do, where would you put the bulbs, or would you adjust the decor? Where would you put it?

Also, ignore the positioning of the lights in the bottom pic. The top pic is the actual position of the lights.
View attachment 87224 View attachment 87225
Is the uvb in the tank-- it looks like it is - distance should be 12-15 inches

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It is. The top is fine mesh.

Is it okay to move it all the way to the back? He won't ever be directly under it. But it's the only way to get it further away without lowering his basking spot, which will lower his basking temp since it will be further away from the bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is. The top is fine mesh.

Is it okay to move it all the way to the back? He won't ever be directly under it. But it's the only way to get it further away without lowering his basking spot, which will lower his basking temp since it will be further away from the bulb.
You don't want it on the back wall

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think that looks pretty good. There is a nice gradient of uvb and temp options to move about and get what they want at a given time so I wouldn’t worry much about being too close unless he avoids the area right under the bulb regularly.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Agreed, if he didn't like the UVB he is getting right now, he would shy away.
A good rule of thumb is to look at his behaviour for guidance if something needs adjusting.

Could you check what that other bulb is. If it is a halogen bulb you would have 250W for heating, which is a damn lot. Could it be a mvb? Cause those have a minimum distance requirement as they put out a huge amount of uvb.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom