Incandescent Bulbs Banned--What Else Can I Do?

I've always used an incandescent bulb with a thermostat in my beardie's viv for supplemental heat. That's all that's needed, because I live in the desert in Arizona, and the house never gets that cold. When it gets down to the low 70's (Fahrenheit) I crank up the heat or grab a sweater. Anyway, they've banned incandescent bulbs, and LED bulbs or those twisty ones with the mercury inside are all you can get, and they don't give off as much heat. The incandescent bulbs gave off just the right amount of heat and worked perfectly. I've heard of those heat emitting bulbs, but those might be too strong, and I use paper towels for substrate in the viv and don't want to risk a fire. I do have three of those old incandescent bulbs left, but what about after they're used up? Is there anywhere I can buy them as a specialty item?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Feed stores still sell them for chickens (cal-ranch) is where i bought some. You can still get them at lowes as well but they are higher wattage so you may need a lamp stand to raise it up higher. Using a wire cage instead of a dome cools the light some also.

PastelBeardie2

Original Poster
Feed stores still sell them for chickens (cal-ranch) is where i bought some. You can still get them at lowes as well but they are higher wattage so you may need a lamp stand to raise it up higher. Using a wire cage instead of a dome cools the light some also.

The bulb is already on a lamp stand, so raising it is no problem. They're no longer allowed to be sold as of August 1st. Lowe's pulled all theirs. I checked. Home Depot and Walmart pulled all of theirs, too. If they're still allowed specifically for chickens, I'll check Cal Ranch, thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom