Lighting

Larrys owner

Beardie name(s)
Larry
Hi! I was just wondering what are the best/cheap options for a 40 gallon bearded dragon tank. I hear that incandescent or halogen lights are good. What about the fixtures are there better/cheaper options than the ones at pet stores?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a good idea to invest in high quality fixtures and lights for UVB, however for the heating, you can use parts y you get at a hardware store. I've had good luck using BR40 incandescent bulbs and PAR38 halogen bulbs, but as long as they are producing bright visible light, adequate surface temps, and a nice wide beam, they should be OK. For fixtures, I use brooder domes for chickens. They are better than the reptile specific fixtures and much cheaper. I can usually get them at the farm supply store for under $10 and they are rated to handle 300w.

Larrys owner

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Larry
It's a good idea to invest in high quality fixtures and lights for UVB, however for the heating, you can use parts y you get at a hardware store. I've had good luck using BR40 incandescent bulbs and PAR38 halogen bulbs, but as long as they are producing bright visible light, adequate surface temps, and a nice wide beam, they should be OK. For fixtures, I use brooder domes for chickens. They are better than the reptile specific fixtures and much cheaper. I can usually get them at the farm supply store for under $10 and they are rated to handle 300w.
Thanks! I was just wondering that fixture says it hold a 22” but there isn’t a option for 24”

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
if i'm understanding your question correctly, the bulbs are shorter than the fixtures. a 24" fixture holds a 22" bulb. i have a 36" fixture and it holds a 34" bulb.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom