Lighting

Larrys owner

Beardie name(s)
Larry
Hi! I was just wondering what are the best/cheap options for a 40 gallon bearded dragon tank. I hear that incandescent or halogen lights are good. What about the fixtures are there better/cheaper options than the ones at pet stores?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a good idea to invest in high quality fixtures and lights for UVB, however for the heating, you can use parts y you get at a hardware store. I've had good luck using BR40 incandescent bulbs and PAR38 halogen bulbs, but as long as they are producing bright visible light, adequate surface temps, and a nice wide beam, they should be OK. For fixtures, I use brooder domes for chickens. They are better than the reptile specific fixtures and much cheaper. I can usually get them at the farm supply store for under $10 and they are rated to handle 300w.

Larrys owner

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Larry
It's a good idea to invest in high quality fixtures and lights for UVB, however for the heating, you can use parts y you get at a hardware store. I've had good luck using BR40 incandescent bulbs and PAR38 halogen bulbs, but as long as they are producing bright visible light, adequate surface temps, and a nice wide beam, they should be OK. For fixtures, I use brooder domes for chickens. They are better than the reptile specific fixtures and much cheaper. I can usually get them at the farm supply store for under $10 and they are rated to handle 300w.
Thanks! I was just wondering that fixture says it hold a 22” but there isn’t a option for 24”

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
if i'm understanding your question correctly, the bulbs are shorter than the fixtures. a 24" fixture holds a 22" bulb. i have a 36" fixture and it holds a 34" bulb.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom