Just changed adults ovr to sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2simms

Juvie Member
Hey, I was wonderig if there are anything I should watch out for? THE tile began to smell after cleaned with soap. SoI dcided to swich over to sand. Thanks, Trent

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
theres no reason tile should still smell unless it didnt get completely (or properly) cleaned. i use tile in every dry habitat enclosure i have and not a single one smells. i have had problems with a couple messy crappers who would always seem to search out the cracks of the tile and crap right in between every time, so it would go between and under, making it harder to clean, but a simple bead of clear silicone in between the tiles and no more problems.

isdrake

Hatchling Member
I recommend using a mix of sand and soil (about 50/50). I think this is the closest you can come of copying their natural environment. It's much more solid than only using sand and it will allow your dragon do dig it it wants too. It works really god for me.

h2simms

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, thanks, It some how smelled terrible and I switched it out and it's working great right now except when they keep licking it but I give them baths daily so there shouldn't be a problem. Thanks

h2simms

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I kinda didn't like taking them out everyday and scrubbing them so I made the switch, so far I am happy with it. :mrgreen:

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
seal the cracks and you wont have to take them out. just wipe it up and youre done, no need to take them out.

h2simms

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Could I seal the cracks with silicone that way if I have a problem I can take them out? Also if I change the sand out weekly can I wash the old stuff and then put it back in? Thanks

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
it the enclosures that i have messy poopers in i run a thin bead of clear silicone between the cracks, keeps anything from falling between makes it easy to clean, if you keep it thin its not even noticeable so its not gonna look tacky or anything, and it comes right off with a razor blade if need be. comes off pretty easy, i just tore down a few cages to get ready for the move and it peeled right off.

i dont use sand so im no help with that. for the couple sand boxes and lay bins i have i always just throw it out, its only 3 bucks for a 50lb bag anyway.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
I swear...It's as if you find everything that you should not do, and do it anyways. Then you ask if it's ok... :roll:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
h2simms":24kiikm8 said:
Ok, thanks, It some how smelled terrible and I switched it out and it's working great right now except when they keep licking it but I give them baths daily so there shouldn't be a problem. Thanks
That's not good at all that they're licking it, you certainly know about those risks, right?

It's really impossible to clean up all the poop and liquid from the sand so that's actually going to smell worse that the tiles did as well as breeding bacteria. Perhaps you weren't cleaning all the poop residue up thoroughly enough. Putting silicone between the tiles sounds like the cleanest and best way to go I would think.

h2simms

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well they stopped licking and if it does smell bad then I will go back to tile but I am going to try and silicon the tile in my forty breeder(males cage) to tile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom