How to clean sand?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I’ve got my substrate purchased (ended up going with sand/clay mix, might add soil later) and Leo’s new enclosure is due to arrive some time tomorrow, just wanted to know how should I go about cleaning the sand before adding it in the enclosure when it gets here? Also, are there any techniques for large amounts of sand? I don’t remember the exact amount, but I’ve got a pretty hefty bag. 10-15lbs I think? Around that much

(I’ll keep everyone posted on enclosure updates when it arrives, and if I choose to add soil later on)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't typically clean sand prior to putting it in the enclosure. Is there a reason you are worried about it?

You can bake it in the oven at 250F for a bit, will kill off anything living in it.

-Brandon

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I don't typically clean sand prior to putting it in the enclosure. Is there a reason you are worried about it?

You can bake it in the oven at 250F for a bit, will kill off anything living in it.

-Brandon
The same. You could spray it with F10 and let it dry off but really there should be nothing in there that would do harm.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo

-Brandon
I’m not sure— places around the web say I should wash it first, others don’t… I don’t think there is any harmful stuff in it, but it seems the internet can never give me a solid answer. Thank you, Brandon

-Jackdaw

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you buy play sand from your local hardware store, it should be prewashed. It's usually still wet so you may have to dry it out a bit.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
If you buy play sand from your local hardware store, it should be prewashed. It's usually still wet so you may have to dry it out a bit.
I have a desert sand blend (no dyes) from the brand Exo Terra. It isn’t genuine sand apparently— packaging says it’s ground up walnut shells with the consistency of sand.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Be very careful with that, I've read that ground walnut can cause impaction.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
What makes it any different from regular sand?
I'm not sure to be honest, it could be thats it's more inclined to pack and stick together, or maybe it swells in the gut as it is wood. Or it could be more internet misinformation, I just like to err on the side of caution until I know the whole story 🙂 but I have seen enough warning about it to pass it along just in case 🙂

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Definitely do not used crushed walnut shell. It is much different than sand. Sand particles are naturally round and smooth while crushed walnut particles are sharp and jagged.

Crushed walnut was a popular substrate 15-20 years ago, until we started noticing much higher rates of impactions and deaths from intestinal damage from the dragons ingesting and trying to pass these sharp particles through their body which are not digestible at all.

Sand = smooth and passes through the system
Crushed walnut = sharp and cuts everything up as it passes through the system.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I was just coming back to post basically the same thing Brandon just did. I went and was researching it after my last post and came to the same conclusion. It can cause internal injuries from the sharp edges. Having had walnut trees in my yard in the past, I know from personal experience it can cut you wide open if you step on broken hulls or if your cracking them to eat the shards can also cut you.
Another issue comes to mind also that I haven't seen discussed. Crushed walnut hulls are wood, that being said they are going to be predisposed to natural deterioration. So it seems to me that once it gets poop in it, it could become a breeding ground for bacteria.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Definitely do not used crushed walnut shell. It is much different than sand. Sand particles are naturally round and smooth while crushed walnut particles are sharp and jagged.

Crushed walnut was a popular substrate 15-20 years ago, until we started noticing much higher rates of impactions and deaths from intestinal damage from the dragons ingesting and trying to pass these sharp particles through their body which are not digestible at all.

Sand = smooth and passes through the system
Crushed walnut = sharp and cuts everything up as it passes through the system.

-Brandon
I’ll chuck it, then. When I bought it a bit ago I was under the impression that it was regular sand— the walnut part was in fine print for some reason. Thanks

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I’ll chuck it, then. When I bought it a bit ago I was under the impression that it was regular sand— the walnut part was in fine print for some reason. Thanks
Because they know no one will buy it if they put it in large print 😉😉

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom